This One Pot Chicken and Rice is nicely balanced with lemon and spices. An easily adaptable dish taking just over an hour to make.
- 6g (1 tsp) salt
- 2g (1 tsp) ground black pepper
- 2g (1 tsp) cayenne pepper
- 7g (1 tbsp) paprika
- 7g (1 tbsp) smoked paprika
- 7g (1 tbsp) turmeric
- 7g (1 tbsp) chilli powder
- 3g (1 tbsp) dried oregano
Chicken and Rice
- 45ml (3 tbsp) vegetable oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 8 chicken thighs
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 red chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
- 500g basmati rice
- 480g (2 400g cans) cooked kidney beans
- 1.25 litres (5 cups) chicken stock
- 1 lemon, sliced into rounds
- parsley, for decoration
- Place the oil and lemon juice in a small bowl and stir in 3 tablespoons of the spice mix until a smooth paste forms.
- Rub the chicken thighs all over with the spicy paste. At this point you can choose to marinate the chicken overnight in the fridge to intensify the flavours, or you can go ahead with cooking the recipe.
- Place the thighs skin side down onto a large, deep frying pan and fry until the skin is golden brown and crispy. Flip them and ensure the other sides get browned too. Remove from heat and set aside.
- At this point an oily residue should be in the pan, so no extra oil is needed. Turn down the heat to medium and gently fry the onions for around 5 minutes or until softened.
- Add the garlic and chilli, then fry for another 2 minutes.
- Tip in the rice and stir in the remaining spice mix.
- Pour in the stock, arrange the chicken pieces in a single layer on top, then top with lemon slices.
- Cover and gently cook for around 30 minutes or until the rice and chicken are completely cooked.
- Use a fork to fluff up the rice and sprinkle with parsley. Serve with some greens on the side. Enjoy!
- Keep an eye on the food while the rice is cooking. If you think it’s getting to dry, add a splash of stock or water so that the bottom doesn’t burn.
- After you made this recipe once, feel free to tweak the spice levels to your taste. Make it as hot or mild as you like!
- This is an excellent recipe for meal prep and can easily be made in bulk.
- This recipe freezes well!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Boil
- Cuisine: Caribbean
Keywords: one pot chicken and rice, one pot chicken thighs and rice, one pot chicken recipes, one pot chicken rice, chicken dinner recipe, chicken beans and rice recipe