This Spicy Kidney Bean Soup is the perfect dish to warm you up on a cold night. A flavourful dish that can be made in less than an hour.
- 30ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 500g (2 400g/14oz tins) black beans
- 500g (2 400g/14oz tins) red kidney beans
- 250ml (1 cup) red wine
- 1 litre (1 quart) vegetable stock
- 1ml (¼ tsp) cayenne
- 5ml (1 tsp) ground cumin
- 2.5ml (½ tsp) dried oregano
- salt and pepper
- sour cream [optional]
- chives or coriander, chopped
- Heat the oil in a large flameproof casserole. Add the onion, carrots and garlic and cook over low heat, stirring until softened, for around 5 minutes.
- Tip in the beans. Stir, then turn up the heat.
- Pour in the wine and let it sizzle for 2 minutes.
- Add the stock, then the herbs and spices.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, then cover and simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer the soup to a food processor or blender. Process until smooth. Return to the pan and stir to combine well.
- Reheat the soup if necessary and taste for seasoning. Serve hot, garnished with sour cream and herbs. Enjoy!
- You can substitute the black beans with just red kidney beans or vice versa.
- For a meatier flavour, use beef stock instead of vegetable stock.
- To save money, buy dried beans and soak them the night before. Cook according to package instructions then proceed with the recipe.
- To save effort and time, double or triple up on the ingredients. This recipe freezes well!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Boil
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: kidney bean soup recipe, simple kidney bean soup, canned kidney bean soup, vegan kidney bean soup, vegetarian kidney bean soup, kidney bean recipe, red kidney bean soup, rajma soup