A whole smoked turkey is something everyone should try at least once. Whether it be during a weekend or during some celebrations. You’ll need a smoker and nice big turkey. Pair with roasted vegetables such as potatoes, broccoli or carrots. It’ll be hard to go back to the plain roasted stuff after you had one bite…
- 4.5kg (10lbs) turkey
- Salt and pepper
- Hickory wood chips
- If you bought a frozen turkey, you need to thaw it first. It would take approximately 66 hours in the fridge and 22 hours in a cool room to thaw.
- For best results, the turkey needs brining. I used a cooler box to store the turkey in and then prepared enough brine to cover the turkey, which took a while! Here’s the basic recipe.
- Keep the turkey chilled in the brine in the cooler box with ice packs. After 24 hours the turkey is ready for the smoker.
- Preheat the Char-Broil Big Easy Smoker on the High setting and fill the smoking box with wood chips.
- Wait for 10 minutes until the chips begin to smoke, then change the heat setting to Low.
- Place the turkey breast side up in the basket. Place the basket inside the smoker.
- Close lid and cook until the turkey’s internal temperature is 74°C (165°F). This takes about 4 hours and 30 minutes.
- For best results, check on the turkey every 30 minutes and preferably turn it around for even cooking. If the skin is browned and crisp before it’s properly cooked, cover the bird with foil to prevent the skin from burning.
- Remove the turkey from the smoker and let it rest for about 15 minutes before carving.
- Because of the temperature discrepancy between the top and bottom area inside the smoker, you need to turn the turkey upside down every now and then. That way, both ends will get evenly cooked.
- Refrain from saucing the turkey while it’s in the smoker. Wait until it’s cooked and finish with a luscious sauce under the grill or on the barbecue. A lot less mess and no burning!
- Category: main course
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 765
- Sodium: 315 mg
- Fat: 22.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 7.4 g
- Protein: 131.8 g
- Cholesterol: 341 mg