- 500ml (2 cups) long grain rice
- 1ℓ (4 cups) chicken or vegetable stock
- 5ml (1 tsp) turmeric
- 5ml (1 tsp) ground cinnamon
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 30ml (2 tbsp) brown sugar
- 125ml (½ cup) sultanas or raisins
- Place the rice, stock, sugar, cinnamon, turmeric, sultanas and cinnamon stick in a pot.
- Boil for 20 minutes or until the rice is cooked.
- If there is any excess water, drain it.
- Remove cinnamon stick and serve.
- The stock can simply be substituted with water.
- The rice can be frozen for later use.
- Category: Side dish
- Cuisine: South African
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 262
- Sugar: 5.2 g
- Sodium: 13 mg
- Carbohydrates: 58.2 g
- Fiber: 1.3 g
- Protein: 4.9 g