- 320g (11oz) shortcrust pastry sheet, ready rolled
- 320g (11oz) puff pastry sheet, ready rolled
- 5 large potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 large onions, peeled and sliced
- 100g (3oz) butter
- 1 egg, whisked
- Remove the pastries from the fridge and let them rest at room temperature.
- Parboil the potatoes in salted water for 5 minutes and drain.
- Gently fry the onions in the butter until softened then add the potato and stir.
- While the potato mixture is cooling down, preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas mark 6.
- Lightly oil a 30cm (12in) pie dish.
- Line the pie dish with the shortcrust pastry and trim the edges. Line with baking parchment then pour in baking beans. Bake blind for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and let it cool down a bit. Remove baking beans.
- Adjust the oven temperature to 220°C/425°F/gas mark 7.
- Fill the pie shell with the potato filling and evenly distribute the contents.
- Top off with the puff pastry and crimp the edges. Poke the top with a fork or knife so that air can escape during the baking process. Decorate to your heart’s content.
- Brush egg on top then bake for 15 minutes or until the puff pastry is golden.
- Remove from the oven and serve with salad.
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: English
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 554
- Sugar: 6.2 g
- Sodium: 166 mg
- Fat: 22.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 6 g
- Carbohydrates: 78.4 g
- Fiber: 9.3 g
- Protein: 10.7 g
- Cholesterol: 28 mg