- 15ml (1 tbsp) butter
- 15ml (1 tbsp) olive oil
- 4 venison steaks, weighing 175g (6oz) each
- 250ml (1 cup) red wine
- 250ml (1 cup) beef stock
- 1 orange, juiced [optional]
- 30ml (2 tbsp) blackcurrant jelly
- 20 blackberries
- Fry the steaks in the butter and oil on a high heat for 2 minutes on each side.
- Remove the steak from the pan, put aside and keep warm.
- In the same pan, add the wine and let it bubble away until halved, which would take about 5 minutes.
- Add the stock and let it bubble for another 5 minutes.
- Stir in the orange juice and jelly.
- Serve the steaks with creamy potato mash, steamed kale and blackberry sauce.
- Frying the venison two minutes on each side will yield a rare result. If you like your meat more cooked, lower the heat after two minutes and cook until desired doneness.
- The blackcurrant jelly can be substituted with any berry jelly but see if you can find blackberry!
- If you’d like to thicken the sauce you can make a cornflour slurry and slowly stir it into the sauce until thickened to desired consistency. The only downside is that the cornflour mutes the flavour a bit.
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: English
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 479
- Sugar: 6.6 g
- Sodium: 346 mg
- Fat: 11.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 17.5 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 62.2 g
- Cholesterol: 185 mg