Gently cooked pork sausages served with red wine and onion gravy. The red wine gravy makes a perfect sauce for sausages!
- 8 pork sausages
- 15ml (1 tbsp) oil
- 45g (3 tbsp) butter
- 1 red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 250ml (1 cup) red wine
- 250ml (1 cup) beef stock
- 15ml (1 tbsp) redcurrant jelly
- 5ml (1 tsp) corn starch/corn flour [optional]
- Bake the sausages in the oven at 160°C/fan 140°C/325°F/gas 3.
- Meanwhile, fry the onions with the butter and oil in a large frying pan until soft. Add the wine and let it bubble for a minute or two. Add the stock and let the sauce slowly simmer while the sausages are cooking. By the time the sausages are cooked the sauce would have reduced by half.
- Stir in the redcurrant jelly.
- If you would like to thicken the sauce a bit, mix the cornstarch with a bit of water and slowly add it to the sauce, stirring constantly until thickened.
- Serve the sausages and pour the sauce on top.
- Place the sausages onto piles of fluffy mash. Steamed greens on the side will do.
- This sauce also works well with beef steak.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Roast
- Cuisine: British
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 281
- Sugar: 4.6 g
- Sodium: 422 mg
- Fat: 20 g
- Saturated Fat: 8.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 7.9 g
- Protein: 5.7 g
- Cholesterol: 46 mg
Keywords: red wine and onion gravy, red wine gravy, onion and red wine gravy, sauce for sausages