This vegetable samosa recipe shows you how to make samosas step-by-step, from creating the filling to how to fold a samosa.
- 1 potato
- 1 carrot
- 15ml (1 tbsp) vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 250ml (1 cup) frozen peas
- 10ml (2 tsp) curry powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 100ml (3 fl oz) vegetable stock
- 225g (2 cups) all-purpose flour
- 10ml (2 tsp) salt
- 30ml (2 tbsp) vegetable oil
- 80ml (1/3 cup) lukewarm water
- Heat the oil in a frying pan.
- Add the onion, garlic and curry powder and fry until the onion has softened.
- Add the vegetables and seasoning and stir well until coated.
- Add the stock, cover and simmer for 30 minutes until cooked.
- Place the vegetable mixture on a tray and let it cool down.
- Mix the flour and salt in a bowl.
- Make a well into the centre and add the oil and enough water to make a firm dough.
- Knead the dough on a floured surface until smooth and roll into a ball. Cover in plastic wrap and set aside at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Divide the pastry into 12 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a ball and roll out into a circle of about 15cm. Divide the circle into two equal pieces with a knife.
- Brush each edge with a little water and form a cone shape around your fingers, sealing the dampened edge.
- Fill the cases with a tablespoon of the vegetable mixture and press the two dampened edges together to seal the top of the cone.
- Deep fry the samosas in hot oil (160°C/320°F) until crisp and brown. Take them out and drain on a paper towel.
- Category: Starter
- Method: Fry
- Cuisine: Indian
- Calories: 62
- Sugar: Sugars
- Sodium: 219 mg
- Fat: 1.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 10.2 g
- Fiber: Dietary Fiber
- Protein: 1.6 g
Keywords: vegetable samosa recipe, step by step samosa tutorial, how to fold a samosa