Veggie puffs is a vegetarian Indian snack that comprises curried vegetables wrapped in puff pastry, which is then baked.
- 30ml (2 tbsp) oil
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 2.5cm (1in) fresh ginger root, peeled and grated
- 150g (5oz) carrots, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 300g (10½oz) potato, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 100g (3½oz) peas
- 2.5ml (½ tsp) turmeric powder
- 5ml (1 tsp) chilli powder
- 5ml (1 tsp) garam masala
- 5ml (1 tsp) salt
- 2 x 320g (11oz) rolled puff pastry sheets
- 1 egg, beaten
- flour, for dusting
- 30g (1oz) coriander leaves
- Using a large saucepan, gently fry the onion in the oil for 5 minutes or until soft and translucent.
- Add the garlic and ginger and continue to fry for another minute while stirring.
- Tip in the potatoes and carrots, give it a stir, then add a splash of water and cover with a lid. Continue to cook the vegetables on a medium heat for 10 minutes, or until cooked.
- Stir in the peas, turmeric, chilli powder, garam masala and salt. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C / 180°C fan / 390°F / gas mark 6.
- Dust a clean work surface with flour and roll out the puff pastry to 1cm (1/2in) thick.
- Cut the pastry into even squares.
- Divide the vegetable filling evenly between the squares. Be careful not to overfill them, so you might have some filling leftover, which can be enjoyed as a side dish to a later meal.
- Brush the edges with egg.
- Pick two diagonal corners of each pastry, then let one corner overlap the other. Pinch together so that they stay put. Repeat the process until all of them have been done.
- Brush the tops with the remaining egg wash, then place them on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Place the pastries on a cooling rack.
- Serve warm as a snack or as part of a main meal with salad. Enjoy!
- The spice levels are very mild in this recipe. If you’re looking for a decent kick, double up on the spice ingredients.
- You can get creative with the design of the pastry shapes. You can use triangles or even create vegetarian sausage rolls!
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: veggie puffs, veg puffs recipe, indian veggie curry puffs, puff pastry recipe, indian vegetarian snack