Longing for a break in the Carribean? You can have one in your kitchen too with this tasty one pot Caribbean Peanut Chicken.
- 15ml (1 tbsp) vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves only
- 12g (2 tbsp) curry powder
- 1 lime, juice only
- 900g (2lbs) chicken breasts, chopped
Peanut Butter Chicken and Rice
- 30ml (2 tbsp) vegetable oil
- 300g (2) onions, finely chopped
- 1 green chilli, seeded and thinly sliced
- 200g (2) tomatoes, finely chopped
- 6g (1 tsp) salt
- 60ml (4 tbsp) smooth peanut butter
- 450g (1lb) white long grain rice
- 675ml (2½ cups) chicken stock
- lime juice, to taste
- fresh cilantro, for garnishing
- Mix all the marinade ingredients in a large bowl and stir in the chicken. Cover and leave to marinate in the fridge for 3 hours.
- Heat the oil in a large casserole dish.
- Brown the marinated chicken in batches and then set aside.
- Add the onions and fry over a medium heat for 5 minutes or until softened and translucent.
- Add the chilli, tomatoes and salt, and continue to stir every now and then for another 5 minutes.
- Stir in the peanut butter and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Tip in the rice, stock and chicken. Give it a good stir, then let it reach a slow simmer.
- Cover with a lid and cook for 15-20 minutes, or until the rice is cooked. Give it a stir once in a while just to ensure that the bottom doesn’t stick. If it seems a bit dry, add a splash of water, if needed.
- Use a fork to fluff up the rice, sprinkle with lime juice as you see fit, and garnish with cilantro. I served mine with green beans. Enjoy!
- You can make this dish healthier by using brown rice but it will need a longer cooking time.
- For more succulence, use boneless chicken thighs.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Marinating Time: 3 hours
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Pan Fry
- Cuisine: Caribbean
Keywords: caribbean peanut chicken, peanut sauce chicken, easy peanut chicken, peanut butter chicken and rice