- 240ml (1 cup) olive oil
- 4 onions, chopped
- 10cm (4 in) fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 4kg (9 lbs) stewing lamb, diced
- 5ml (1 tsp) salt
- 10ml (2 tsp) ground coriander
- 10ml (2 tsp) ground cinnamon
- 10ml (2 tsp) ground cumin
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- Pinch of saffron
- 500g (1 lb) prunes
- 240ml (1 cup) honey
- 20ml (4 tsp) orange blossom flower water
- One bunch of fresh cilantro
- 250ml (1 cup) slivered almonds
- Heat half of the oil in a large lidded pan.
- Add the onion and ginger to the pot and fry until softened.
- Add the remainder of the oil to the pot and add the lamb to the onion mix and cook until the meat is coloured on all sides.
- Season the meat and add the coriander, two types of cinnamon, cumin and saffron to it.
- Stir thoroughly and pour enough water over the meat to cover and bring the pot to the boil.
- Turn the heat down, put the lid on, and allow the meat to simmer slowly for about two hours.
- Add the prunes and simmer for another 30 minutes.
- Stir in the honey and sprinkle orange flower water.
- Serve on a bed of fluffy couscous, and top with cilantro and toasted slivered almonds.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stew
- Cuisine: Moroccan
- Calories: 731
- Sugar: Sugars
- Sodium: 190 mg
- Fat: 32.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 39.5 g
- Fiber: Dietary Fiber
- Protein: 71.7 g
- Cholesterol: 225 mg