If you want to cook to impress, then make these amazing slow cooker lamb shanks. The lamb completely melts in your mouth.
- 30ml (2 tbsp) vegetable oil
- 4 lamb shanks
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 250ml (1 cup) red wine
- 440ml (1 can) chopped tomatoes
- 250ml (1 cup) lamb or vegetable stock
- 2 rosemary sprigs
- 15ml (1 tbsp) sugar [optional]
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan.
- Fry the lamb shanks for 4-5 minutes, turning regularly, or until browned all over. Place the lamb shanks in the slow cooker.
- Add an extra splash of oil if needed and fry the onions until translucent, which will take about 5 minutes.
- Deglaze the frying pan with red wine and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour the onions and red wine in the slow cooker with the lamb shanks.
- Add the tomatoes, stock and rosemary too, and give everything a stir.
- Cook on the low setting for 8 hours.
- The lamb shanks should now be tender and falling off the bone. Take them out and keep warm.
- Remove the rosemary sprigs and transfer the rest of the contents, plus the sugar [optional], to a food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Serve the lamb shanks on a pile of mash with huge quantities of the gravy poured on top. Enjoy!
- Category: Stew
- Method: Slow Cook
- Cuisine: French
Keywords: slow cooker lamb shanks, slow cooked lamb shank recipe, lamb braised in red wine and tomato