Enjoy making this shrimp in oyster sauce recipe. For this easy Chinese recipe, you only need a handful of ingredients. You can use prawns instead of shrimp.
- 15ml (1 tbsp) light soy sauce
- 10ml (2 tsp) sesame oil
- 15ml (1 tbsp) Shaoxing rice wine
- 5ml (1 tsp) cornflour
- 500g (1lb) peeled, raw shrimp
- 30ml (2 tbsp) vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 green pepper, washed and chopped
- 1 red pepper, washed and chopped
- 45ml (3 tbsp) oyster sauce
- 4 spring onions, washed and shredded
- Mix the soy sauce, sesame oil, rice wine and cornflour in a bowl to form a thin paste.
- Place the prawns in the paste and marinate while preparing the vegetables.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large wok.
- Pour in the onions and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic and peppers and continue to fry for another 2 minutes.
- Turn up the heat and pour in the prawns and their marinade with the vegetables. Stir constantly for 2 minutes.
- Pour in the oyster sauce and make sure to stir until everything is well incorporated.
- Continue to let the stirfry sizzle while you stir for 2 minutes and remove from the heat.
- Serve immediately with egg fried rice. Garnish with with spring onions.
- If you can’t get hold of rice wine you can use dry sherry instead.
- For best results, you can marinate the prawns for one hour.
- If you are gluten intolerance, use tamari instead of soy sauce
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stir Fry
- Cuisine: Chinese
Keywords: shrimp in oyster sauce, Chinese recipe, Chinese prawn stir fry