Learn how to make Amaretto cherries. The recipe also works with rum, cointreau and other types of alcohol. Best served with vanilla ice cream.
- 375ml(1½ cup) water
- 155g (¾ cup) caster sugar
- 1kg (2lbs) cherries, washed and pitted
- 125ml (½ cup) Amaretto
- Place the water and sugar in a large saucepan of a low heat and stir until the sugar has dissolved.
- Tip the cherries in and simmer for 5 minutes or until cherries are tender.
- Remove from the heat, pour in the liqueur and stir.
- If you’re impatient, you can serve it warm immediately with vanilla ice cream.
- Alternatively, pour into sterilised jars and seal. Let the cherries steep for at least 4 weeks for maximum flavour. Enjoy!
- The recipe provided is basic. Feel free to add your own spin to it to spice it up to your liking. E.g. orange peel, star anise and or cinnamon sticks make lovely additions to give it a Christmassy feel.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Boil
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: amaretto cherries, homemade edible christmas gifts, American cherry dessert, amaretto dessert recipe, cherry dessert