Onion paste is one of those recipes that adds lots of flavour into a dish. You can use it as a base for stews and curries.
- 60ml (4 tbsp) vegetable oil
- 1kg (2.2 lb) white onions, coarsely chopped
- Heat the oil gently in a large, heavy skillet.
- Add the onions to the pan and make sure everything gets coated with oil.
- Add a pinch of salt and pepper. [optional]
- Continue to stir until the onions turn darker in colour and start sticking to the pan.
- Continue to stir until the onions turn darker and darker.
- Fry the onions slowly and stir frequently. If you think the onions are sticking to the pan too much, add a dash of water or white wine to deglaze.
- Continue this process of cooking and deglazing until the onions have reached have reduced significantly, plus darkened and caramelised in several places.
- Place the caramelised onions in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Pan Fry
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: brown onion paste, how to make onion paste, onion paste recipe, brown onion recipe