- 50ml (2 fl oz) vegetable oil
- 1kg (2.2 lb) white onions, coarsely chopped
- Heat the oil gently in a large, heavy skillet.
- Add the onions to the pan and make sure everything gets coated with oil.
- Add a pinch of salt and pepper. [optional]
- Continue to stir until the onions turn darker in colour and start sticking to the pan.
- Continue to stir until the onions turn darker and darker.
- Fry the onions slowly and stir frequently. If you think the onions are sticking to the pan too much, add a dash of water or white wine to deglaze.
- Continue this process of cooking and deglazing until the onions have reached the colour, flavour and texture you desire.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Pan Fry
- Cuisine: French
- Calories: 104
- Sugar: Sugars
- Sodium: 5 mg
- Fat: 6.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 11.7 g
- Fiber: Dietary Fiber
- Protein: 1.4 g