Make this refreshing homemade pineapple ice cream recipe today! This perfect sweet and sour combo is best served in cone or cup. Sprinkle with dried chilli flakes if you wish.
- 250ml (1 cup) fresh pineapple juice, sieved
- 500ml (2 cups) double cream
- 250ml (1 cup) whole milk
- 125ml (1/2 cup) + 15ml (1 tbsp) granulated sugar
- 4 large egg yolks
- 7.5ml (1/2 tbsp) vanilla paste
- Combine the pineapple juice, cream, vanilla, milk and 15ml (1 tbsp) sugar in a saucepan. Bring to the boil then remove from the heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the 125ml (1/2 cup) sugar and egg yolks, until the mixture has gone pale in colour and doubled in size.
- Temper hot milk into the sugar yolk mixture, by slowly adding hot milk about 60ml (1/4 cup) at a time, whisking to distribute heat. Once all the milk has been added, transfer mixture back into the saucepan.
- Place the saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir until mixture reaches nappé consistency, or 80°C (180°F) on a kitchen thermometer. Let mixture sit at this temperature for 5 minutes to pasteurise the eggs.
- Remove from heat and pour the custard into a large mixing bowl. Place the bowl into icy water and stir until the custard has cooled.
- Pour the custard into an ice cream maker and churn according to your unit’s instructions.
- Transfer the ice cream to a sealable container and freeze for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- Ensure that the pineapple juice is perfectly smooth, otherwise you’ll find undesirable stringy bits in the ice cream.
- If you like spicy things and feel brave, you can add a bit of chilli powder to the ice cream because it pairs beautifully with ice cream.
- Category: Ice Cream
- Method: Freeze
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: pineapple ice cream, pineapple dessert recipe, ice cream maker recipe, vegetarian ice cream recipe