The secret to this Sweet Potato Curry is the use of peanut butter. Be prepared to be blown away by this vegan curry recipe.
- 2 onions, peeled and sliced
- 60ml (4 tbsp) groundnut oil
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 10ml (2 tsp) ginger root, grated
- 225g (8 oz) mushrooms, quartered
- 350g (12 oz) sweet potatoes, cut into 2.5cm (1 inch) cubes
- 500ml (17 fl oz) vegetable stock
- 1.25ml (¼ tsp) cayenne pepper
- 15ml (1 tbsp) mild curry powder
- 45ml (3 tbsp) tomato purée
- 60ml (4 tbsp) SKIPPY® Smooth Peanut Butter
- 15ml (1 tbsp) brown sugar
- 225g (8 oz) spinach leaves, washed and trimmed
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) coriander, chopped
- salt and pepper
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the onion, garlic and ginger, and fry gently for 10 minutes.
- Once the onions have softened, turn up the heat and fry the mushrooms until cooked, which should take about 5 minutes.
- Tip the contents out into a bowl and set aside.
- Using the same pan, add sweet potato, stock, cayenne, curry powder and tomato puree.
- Give it a stir and let the sweet potato gently simmer until just cooked, which should take no more than 10 minutes.
- Mix a few spoonfuls of the stew juices with the peanut butter to soften it, and then add to the sweet potato.
- Stir in brown sugar, then tip the onion and mushroom mixture back into the pan.
- Add the spinach and let it wilt, cooking for no more than 3 minutes.
- Season to taste and serve with rice, sprinkled with coriander.
- Rice is ideal for this dish, since it soaks up all the sauce and flavour!
- Button or portobello mushrooms can be used instead of the standard white ones.
- Add a splash of water if the curry sauce gets too thick.
- Category: Curry
- Method: Boil
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: sweet potato curry, vegan sweet potato stew recipe, savoury peanut butter dish