Winter is almost upon us – time to cook comforting dishes!
- 50g (2 oz) butter
- 400g (14 oz) leeks, trimmed and sliced
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 900g (2 lbs) boneless lamb shoulder, cubed
- 15ml (1 tbsp) plain flour
- 15ml (1 tbsp) olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 900g (2 lbs) waxy potatoes, peeled and cut into ï¿½cm (ï¿½ inch) slices
- 5ml (1 tsp) chopped thyme
- 300ml (ï¿½ pint) vegetable stock
- 150ml (5 fl oz) white wine
- Melt half of the butter in a 3.5 litre (6 pint) flameproof casserole. Add the leeks and onion, stirring to coat with the butter. Cover the casserole and cook over a low heat for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toss the lamb in the flour to coat lightly. Lift out the leek and onion using a slotted spoon and set aside. Add the olive oil to the casserole and heat it, then brown the meat in batches with the garlic and plenty of salt and pepper. Remove from the heat, take out the meat and set aside.
- Layer half the potatoes in the bottom of the casserole with salt and pepper. Spoon half of the leek mixture over the potatoes and level the leek layer. Next, add all the meat on top of the leeks, and then spoon the remaining leeks over the lamb. Arrange the remaining potatoes on top in an overlapping layer, sprinkle with herbs, then pour in the stock and wine.
- Return the casserole to the heat and bring to a simmer. Cover and place in the oven at 170ï¿½C (fan 150ï¿½C/340ï¿½F/gas 3) for 1 hour 50 minutes.
- Remove the lid and dot the potatoes with the rest of the butter. Cook the hotpot, uncovered, for a further 30-40 minutes until the potatoes are golden brown. Serve immediately.
- The hotpot is a meal on its own but feel free to prepare some vegetables on the side if you like.
- Please do not skip the first step. Itï¿½s vital that the leeks and onion get fried a bit first.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Casserole
- Cuisine: British
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 543
- Sugar: 4.4 g
- Sodium: 162 mg
- Fat: 24.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 10.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 37.9 g
- Fiber: 4.4 g
- Protein: 37.3 g
- Cholesterol: 134 mg