This chicken and leek risotto is a beautiful reminder of how delightful Italian cuisine is. Master the basic risotto and you too can replicate this recipe!
- 15ml (1 tbsp) vegetable oil
- 500g (1lb) mini chicken breast fillets
- 500g (1lb) leeks, washed and chopped
- 500g (1lb) arborio rice
- 250ml (1 cup) white wine
- 1.25ℓ (5 cups) chicken stock
- 1 lemon, rind and juice
- 60g (2oz) hard cheese, grated
- Heat the oil in a large casserole.
- Brown the chicken on all sides, then remove from the heat.
- Melt the butter in the same casserole and gently fry the leeks for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Stir in the rice and increase the heat.
- Pour in the wine and let the mixture bubble while stirring.
- Add the thyme, 250ml (1 cup) of stock, the browned chicken and its juices and lower the heat to a slow simmer.
- Stir continuously for 15 minutes, while adding splashes of stock until you run out.
- Stir in the lemon rind and juice and continue cooking for 5 more minutes or until the rice and chicken are cooked.
- Serve immediately with the grated cheese on the side.
- There are different hard cheeses you can use, such as parmesan and Dziugas.
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: Italian