- 2 onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 6 red peppers
- 60ml (¼ cup) olive oil
- 800ml (2 cans) chopped tomatoes
- 30ml (2 tbsp) red wine vinegar
- 30ml (2 tbsp) sugar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fry the onions and garlic gently in the oil until softened.
- Stir in peppers and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to soften, about 20 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, stir and then leave, uncovered, at a lively simmer for 30-40 minutes.
- You can tell the dish is ready if it resembles a thick stew and the peppers are soft.
- Season to taste and serve as you desire, hot or cold.
- The recipe above is quite saucy and ideal for serving in a pasta dish. If you plan on serving it as an antipasti, use only one can of tomatoes.
- The vinegar and sugar are options. It depends on the tanginess and sweetness of the dish and you taste, of course!
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 100
- Sugar: 3.9 g
- Sodium: 185 mg
- Fat: 7.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 9.3 g
- Fiber: 1.4 g
- Protein: 1 g