- 30ml (2 tbsp) vegetable oil
- 600g (1 lb 5 oz) shallots, peeled
- 1.25kg (2 lb 12 oz) bones shoulder of lamb, cut into large chunks
- 450g (1 lb) carrots, peeled and quartered
- 1.3kg (3 lb) medium potatoes, peeled and cut into thick slices
- 6 thyme sprigs
- 2 bay leaves
- 15ml (1 tbsp) Worcestershire sauce
- 850ml (3½ cups) lamb stock or water
- 45ml (3 tbsp) corn flour [optional]
- chopped parsley, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/350°F/gas mark 4.
- Heat half the oil in a large frying pan, then fry the shallots until golden, turning often. Remove and set aside.
- Add the rest of the oil to the pan, then fry the lamb over a high heat until well browned.
- Place the meat, onions and herbs in a 4.8 litre casserole dish.
- Mix the lamb stock or water with the Worcestershire sauce, then pour over the meat. Place the dish in the oven and bake for an hour.
- Remove the dish from the oven and add the potatoes and carrots into the stew. Lower the oven’s temperature to 130°C/fan 110°C/265°F/gas mark ½, add the carrots and potatoes to the mix and cook the stew for another 2 hours.
- [Optional step] When the vegetables are cooked and the meat is tender, drain the sauce in another pot and heat it on the hob. Mix the corn flour with a bit of water and slowly add it to the sauce, stirring constantly until it has thickened. Add the sauce to the meat and vegetables again.
- Scatter with chopped parsley and serve.
- The stew is already a wholesome meal on its own but you can serve it with you favourite steamed greens and/or crusty bread.
- You can freeze this dish.
- If by any chance the vegetables (if they are really chunky) are not completely cooked after 2 hours, place it back in the oven at the same temperature and give it a little bit more time. It won’t do any harm!
- Instead of using cornflour you can grate some potato and add it to the pot 10 minutes before cooking is complete. It will have more flavour this way. Thanks reader Bel!
- Category: Casserole
- Method: Braise
- Cuisine: Irish
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 236.2
- Sugar: 1 g
- Sodium: 340.3 mg
- Fat: 8 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 22.4 g
- Fiber: 2.4 g
- Protein: 18.6 g
- Cholesterol: 54.4 mg