- 4 chicken legs, skinned if you prefer
- 120ml (8 tbsp) tomato ketchup
- 30ml (2 tbsp) brown sugar
- 15ml (1 tbsp) mild mustard
- 30ml (2 tbsp) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 15ml (1 tbsp) vegetable oil
- Preheat the oven to 220°C (fan 200°C/425°F/gas 7).
- Make 2-3 deep cuts in each piece of chicken using a sharp knife. This allows the sauce to penetrate and flavour the chicken well.
- In a large bowl, mix the ketchup, sugar, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, garlic and oil. Add the chicken and stir until well coated with the sauce.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 40-50 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Give the remaining pan sauces a stir and drizzle over the chicken.
- Baked potatoes, boiled new potatoes or chips/fries with a crispy green salad.
- You can bake the chicken for a longer time; say 180°C (fan 160°C/350°F/gas 4). Just check that it’s cooked!
- The better quality ketchup you use, the greater the taste.
- If you like lots of sauce to dip your chips in, double up on the ingredients.
- After scrubbing the roasting tin for what felt like eternity I started using a silicone one and it works a treat.
- If you own a barbecue, you can grill the chicken on it and baste it with the sauce above.
- You can even marinate the chicken in the sauce before cooking it in the oven. For best results, do it the night before cooking. Don’t forget to store it in the fridge before doing so!
- If you prefer a cajun twist, simply use my Cajun Seasoning recipe instead of the Barbecue sauce shown in the recipe.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: barbecue chicken, how to grill chicken in oven, bbq chicken recipe, barbeque chicken, how long to grill chicken in oven. bbq chicken