What is not to love about this side dish? The slightly salty, sweet and sour flavours mingle, and tingle the tongue.
The tiny onions are so tender that they almost instantly melt in your mouth. Visitors have to dive in quickly to get their share because when the Greedy Gourmet comes along it is highly unlikely that there will be anything left when she’s done.
Sometimes I make a whole pot full as a meal for me alone. Weird, I know. I just can’t help it; these onions are just so good.
For another excellent side dish, check out roast marrow.Print
Make these irresistible tangy honey-glazed shallots. Five key ingredients for making this glossy glaze are Worcestershire sauce, honey, balsamic vinegar, butter and honey! The glaze works with other vegetables too.
- 450g (1 lb) shallots
- 25g (1 oz) butter
- 15ml (1 tbsp) honey
- 15ml (1 tbsp) Worcestershire sauce
- 15ml (1 tbsp) balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Put the shallots in a bowl, add cold water to cover and leave to soak for 20 minutes. Drain and peel away the skins.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C / fan 180°C / 400°F / gas mark 6.
- Tip the shallots into an ovenproof frying pan and add just enough cool water to cover. Bring to the boil, lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Drain well and return the shallots to the pan.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients and stir until the shallots are well coated with the glaze.
- Place in the oven for 10 minutes or until the shallots are golden and the liquid is reduced and syrupy.
- Serve as a side dish. Enjoy!
- This side-dish is very versatile and will go well with almost anything, especially grilled meat and fish.
- The sauce is seriously moreish so if you really liked it the first time, why not double the sauce ingredients while using the same amount of onions?
- Keep a close eye to the shallots when they go in the oven. Due to the sauce’s high sugar content, it can burn easily.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Roast
- Cuisine: French
Keywords: roasted shallots, glazed shallots, shallot recipe, vegetarian shallot side dish, shallots with sweet and tangy sauce