There is simply no stopping summer from slipping away. Thankfully, autumn brings along some goodies to comfort us.
This year our Bramble tree gave us five whopping apples. It’s an improvement on last year’s zero. Hopefully as the tiny tree grows it will bestow more presents on us in the coming years.
Luckily, our gracious neighbours on both sides have their own established trees and we enjoyed an abundance of apples nonetheless.
Another sure sign that autumn is here is the presence of blackberries. They are simply everywhere, begging to be picked. After a few years of practise I think I finally got the knack of picking them when they’re just right.
Obviously, when you take hold of one and it turns into a soggy mess you know it’s overripe. At the other end of the scale is the tug-of-war you can get into with the plant.
Rest assured the berries will be unripe, sharp tasting and not very sweet. You know you are onto a winner if the berry is plump and slightly bouncy. If it comes off with a gentle pluck it is deliciously yours.
You can’t find an easier pudding than this humble crumble. Why not serve it with some pink custard?
For some more inspiration, check out these recipes:Print
- 250g (9 oz) blackberries, washed
- 500g (1 lb) cooking apples, cored and cut into chunks
- 25g (1 oz) soft brown sugar
- 15ml (1 tbsp) butter
- 1 pinch of cinnamon
- 75g (2½ oz) porridge oats
- 50g (2 oz) plain or wholemeal flour
- 40g (1½ oz) brown sugar
- 40g (1½ oz) unsalted butter, cubed
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (fan 160°C/356°F/gas 4).
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and add the apples and sugar, stirring over a low heat until the apples are soft. Remove from the heat, allow to cool and gently stir in the blackberries and cinnamon and place the mixture into a pie dish.
- To make the crumble, rub the oats, flour, sugar and butter together in a bowl until well mixed. Sprinkle this mixture over the fruit and bake for 30-45 minutes, until golden brown.
- Serve warm with cream, custard or vanilla ice cream.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 366
- Sugar: 18.8 g
- Sodium: 38 mg
- Fat: 12.4 g
- Saturated Fat: 7 g
- Carbohydrates: 54.9 g
- Fiber: 8.6 g
- Protein: 5.3 g
- Cholesterol: 29 mg