Bah! So what if there is a recession? Who needs pounds if you can enjoy decadent desserts with mere pennies?
Admittedly, this is the first recipe I post that I don’t actually eat. I’ve tasted a mouthful and all was jolly good but since I’m lactose intolerant I have always been averse to milk-based dishes. Another reason is I simply don’t like the taste of milk but it’s another matter entirely when it comes to yogurt, cream, cheese and chocolate!
Anyway, The Boys freak out about this pudding. Typically it is prepared on a lazy Saturday afternoon and after a long nap it is slowly enjoyed. What is the best part of this dish? According to Neil the nutmeg skin on top!
- 15ml (1 tbsp) melted butter
- 115g (4 oz) pudding rice
- 55g (2 oz) caster sugar
- 850ml (1½ pints) full-fat milk
- 2.5ml (½ tsp) vanilla extract
- 40g (1½ oz) unsalted butter
- Preheat the oven to 150°C (fan 130°C/300°F/gas 2).
- Grease a 1.2 litre (2-pint) baking dish with the melted butter, place the rice in the dish and sprinkle with the sugar. Heat the milk in a saucepan until almost boiling – don’t allow the milk to burn – and then pour it over the rice. Add the vanilla extract and mix everything together well.
- Cut the butter into small chunks and scatter over the top together with some freshly grated nutmeg – enough to give it a good dusting.
- Place the dish in the oven and bake for 1½ – 2 hours until the pudding has gone golden on top.
- Neil enjoys a splash of cold milk in his bowl in order to lubricate the contents as well as cool it down a bit.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 196.1
- Sodium: 64 mg
- Fat: 2.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 35.3 g
- Fiber: 1.7 g
- Protein: 7.9 g
- Cholesterol: 56.8 mg