Courgette soup. Courgette salad. Fried courgettes. Grilled courgettes. Grated courgettes. Courgette cake. Courgette everything! This year we have a bumper crop of courgettes from our vegetable plot and it is simply amazing how much twelve plants yield. Every day Neil comes into the kitchen with about 2kg (4 pounds) of these beasts. At first I was delighted but after eating them morning, noon and night I finally gave up. I’m now known as the kooky courgette lady in the village; always unloading the vegetables on anyone who crosses my path. It is such a shame they don’t freeze well.
To clarify things… In USA courgettes are known as “zucchini” and in South Africa “baby marrow”. Marrows are humungous courgettes that you discover after they have been hiding way too long under the big foliage of the plants and in the meantime increased ten times in size.
When I saw this recipe in BBC Good Food I just knew I had to make it and was not disappointed.
Courgette, Mascarpone and Parmesan Tart
Prep 35 minutes
Cook 10 minutes
Total 45 minutes
Author: Michelle Minnaar
- ready-rolled puff pastry, 1 x 375g sheet
- 3 courgettes, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- olive oil
- 60ml (4 tbsp) mascarpone cheese
- 50g (1½) Parmesan cheese, grated
- Heat the oven to 200°C (fan 180°C/390°F/gas 6). Unroll the pastry onto the baking sheet and score a border 2,5cm (1 inch) in from the edge.
- Toss the courgettes and garlic with the olive oil and lots of seasoning.
- Mix the mascarpone with half the parmesan and spread inside the border. Arrange the courgettes in overlapping rows. Bake for 15 minutes, then scatter with parmesan. Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve with chilled white wine and a tangy salad on the side.
Serving Size 1 serving
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 24.45g
Saturated Fat 5.55g
Total Carbohydrates 23.85g
Dietary Fiber 1.4g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.