If you have a busy lifestyle, like to shop in bulk and love food, this easy chicken recipe is for you.
We bought tonnes and tonnes of chicken drumsticks and wrapped them up in portion sizes before placing them in the freezer. Every week we have a drumstick meal and after getting bored with the plain roasted version I remembered making this recipe months ago. It took me no more than five minutes extra to make this sauce instead of just cooking the chicken plain. My taste buds can assure you that it was worth every second.
Raspberry Chicken Drumsticks
Prep 60 minutes
Cook 10 minutes
Total 70 minutes
Author: Michelle Minnaar
- 375ml (1½ cups) seedless raspberry jam
- 80ml (1/3 cup) balsamic vinegar
- 45ml (3 tbsp) soy sauce
- 5ml (1½ tbsp) crushed red pepper
- 10 chicken drumsticks
- Preheat the oven to 140°C/fan 120°C/285°F/gas mark 1.
- In a small saucepan, combine the jam, vinegar, soy sauce and pepper over medium heat. Stir until smooth.
- Lightly oil a large baking dish. Season the drumsticks with salt and pepper and arrange in the dish in a single layer. Pour the sauce over the chicken making sure everything is thoroughly coated then cover with foil and bake in the oven for 40 minutes.
- Take the chicken out of the oven and increase the temperature to 180°C/fan 160°C/350°F/gas mark 4. Turn the chicken pieces over and coat with the sauce in the baking dish.
- Return the chicken to the oven and bake for another 20 minutes, turning several times, until the chicken is tender and nicely glazed.
- Let the chicken rest for a few minutes before serving.
Serve with potato fries and your favourite greens.
Drumsticks were used in this recipe to ensure even cooking. You are welcome to use chicken wings, thighs or breasts instead. Take note that you will need a longer cooking time if the pieces are bigger – bake for longer at 140°C/fan 120°C/285°F/gas mark 1 but keep the browning/glazing stage at 20 minutes at 180°C/fan 160°C/350°F/gas mark 4.
- For extra flavour you can marinate the chicken in the sauce overnight before simply pouring everything into a large baking dish and cook them according to the recipe’s instructions.
Serving Size 1 serving
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 9.4g
Saturated Fat 2.5g
Total Carbohydrates 12.3g
Dietary Fiber 0.6g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.