If you’re partial to a tasty dip for your chips, you simply have to try making your own. When it comes to homemade dips full of flavor, blue cheese dip is as tasty as it gets.
It’s quick and easy to make, and the ingredients are very simple to get hold of. Try dipping some chicken wings into this sumptuous dip. You’ll be blown away!
Products you need for this recipe
There are a few important items you’ll need to get hold of before making your blue cheese dip:
- Mixing bowl – you’ll need this to mix up the ingredients
- Mixing spoon – a good mixing spoon is essential
- Salt – a sprinkle of salt will bring an extra savory flavor
- Pepper – pepper is needed to bring an extra punch
- Blue cheese – a good quality blue cheese is very important, as it makes up the core of this blue cheese dip recipe
Blue cheese dip recipe
This recipe is so easy to make! Firstly, you crumble the blue cheese into a mixing bowl. Blue cheese crumbles easily, so you can do this by hand.
You’ll need to beat it with a wooden spoon, so that you have extra crumbled blue cheese. Then add some cream cheese and mix into the crumbled blue cheese.
Next comes the Greek yoghurt, for that silky smooth texture. You could also add a spoon of mayonnaise. Get mixing!
Add some seasoning. A pinch of salt might be needed, but black pepper is essential. You might want to add a splash of lemon juice for some acidity.
If you really want some extra richness, add a splash of Worcestershire sauce! Can’t find any? Check out my Worcestershire sauce substitute guide.
If you like things spicy, why not add some hot sauce?
The history of blue cheese
Legend has it that it came about by accident sometime around 600AD. Roquefort was said to be the first. The story goes that a scatter-brained shepherd boy fell asleep in a cave in rural France, when he awoke he returned to his duties, forgetting his lunch.
Days later, he discovered that the Roquefort had grown a blue mold. As well as being a forgetful shepherd, he was also very curious and somewhat greedy. So he munched down the mouldy Roquefort sandwich and was pleasantly surprised by the taste.
From sleepy shepherd boys to kings and noblemen, it soon became a delicacy. By the 11th century, it had a special production process. Over the years, different types, from Stilton to Danablu, would crop up all over the world.
By the 20th century, it’s position as a gourmet ingredient used by some of the world’s top chefs was cemented. With such a unique, strong flavor, there’s no wonder it’s so revered.
What is the best blue cheese for this recipe?
How do you store blue cheese dip?
Your blue cheese dip will last up to 1 week in the fridge. Normally, it lasts a lot longer, but as a dip, with other ingredients, it’ll last a week.
Can you freeze blue cheese?
If you’ve bought more of the main ingredient than you need for this dip and you want to know how to store it, you can freeze it. It can be frozen for up to 6 months – just place it in an airtight storage container.
What does blue cheese dip taste like?
A blue cheese dip has got big bold flavors. The blue cheese crumbles bring a pungent smell and strong cheesy taste.
The salt and pepper add to the balance. The Greek yoghurt gives it that luscious creamy taste and texture.
You could also add a dash of lemon juice, for a little zesty flavor.
I prefer normal creamed cheese for this blue cheese dip. If you like, you can use sour cream for a slightly sour taste.
Can you melt blue cheese?
Blue cheese crumbles really easily. It also melts very easily, which is why it’s often added to sauces for extra flavor.
Try melting it over pasta or into sauces for an extra rich taste. Check out my blue cheese sauce recipe!
Why does homemade blue cheese dressing get watery?
The best way to avoid a watery blue cheese dip is to avoid using low fat ingredients. There’s a time and a place for low fat ingredients, but this recipe just ain’t it!
Full fat cream cheese, full fat sour cream or full fat mayonnaise are a must. Also, if you do use lemon juice, don’t overdo it. This could also lead to a watery blue cheese dip.
What do you eat with blue cheese dip?
Want to know what to eat with this delicious blue cheese dip? Aside from dipping buffalo wings in (chicken wings with this dip is absolute heaven!), crudites and crunchy crackers, here are a few suggestions:
Veggie puffs – these little spicy snacks would go great with this recipe
Salt and chili chips – make this homemade chips recipe for the ultimate chips and dip experience. You could also make pita chips or any other kind that take your fancy
Parmesan parsnips – if you’re a fan of parsnips, you’ve got to try this! I’ve taken the humble root vegetable and given it a twist, to create a full flavored finger food!
Salad olivieh – a delicious potato salad, salad olivieh would be all the more glorious with a flavorful dressing. Just make this recipe, making it thinner by using a little more Greek yoghurt, then drizzle over the salad
Pear and rocket salad – jazz up this salad with a few crumbs of delicious, pungent Roquefort or Stilton
Pumpkin and beetroot salad – another light and healthy salad that would take on another dimension with a big tasting dressing mixed in
Rocket salad with parma ham, papaya, parmesan and pecan nuts – swap out the parmesan for this recipe and take this salad to another dimension! Then serve it with chicken wings for an amazing weekend meal
More blue cheese recipes
Can’t get enough of the stinky stuff? Here are some other fantastic recipes:
- Rocket salad with avocado, blue cheese and pecans – a salad that’s jam packed with flavor, this is green, healthy, easy to make and is set to become your new favorite salad
- Blue cheese sauce – an absolute classic! Get this sauce right and you can be very proud of your culinary skills. When served on top of a juicy steak the Earth stops spinning round!
- Blue cheese fritters – an indulgent, melt-in-the-mouth snack that will blow your taste buds away. If you like big flavored food, this recipe is a must
- Fig salad with parma ham and blue cheese – another great salad, the flavors of this one work so well. Simple ingredients in harmony combine for something you can’t fail to like
- Watercress salad with smoked salon, blue cheese, pear and walnuts – this is a really unique tasting salad. Watercress is so underrated and, when paired with the big flavors in this recipe, it tastes sensational
- Brussels sprouts with bacon, blue cheese and pecan nuts – a delicious dish that’s perfect before, during or after Christmas, Brussels sprouts recipes don’t come any more irresistible than this
- Stilton, Bacon & Potato Cakes – these simple little potato cakes are a breeze to put together. Be warned… they’re dangerously addictive
- Pear Pizza with Stilton & Walnuts – sick of the same old margherita and pepperoni pizzas. Give this gem of a recipe a go!
Other great dip recipes
This blue cheese dip is just the tip of the iceberg. Check these other mouthwatering dip recipes:
- Muhammara – a mouthwatering Middle Eastern dish that’s the perfect balance between savory, sweet, smoky and spicy
- White bean dip – quick, easy, healthy and, above all, super tasty. Why would you ever buy the sludge from the store when making tasty dips is this easy?!
- Chilli and lime yoghurt dip – simple yet oh so delectable, this is one fresh dip! It tastes best when used to dunk spicy starters like potato bhajis, as well as with hot curries, just to take the edge off
- Avocado dip – a super veggie dip that’s so simple to make and is lusciously creamy! An irresistible blend of avocados, creamcheese, lemon juice, a little sprinkling of salt and some pepper, it’s tasty yet healthy and takes snacks to another level
- Roasted beetroot dip – a wonderfully tasty dish with a touch of sweetness, this one is fresh, healthy and full of flavor. The pistachios bring a salty, nutty depth, and the Greek yogurt gives it a creamy texture.
- Melitzanosalata – a traditional Greek eggplant dip that’s fresh and creamy, with smoky undertones, melitzanosalata is a divine dip! If you’ve never tried it, give this recipe a go. You’ll be sold from the first taste
- Guacamole – the classic Mexican dip that brings such a fresh, zesty taste to any snack, you’ve got to try my homemade guacamole recipe. Tortilla chips, this dip and a bottle of wine make for the perfect night in!
- Roasted carrot hummus – this is so full of flavor. Roasting the carrots gives them a completely new taste profile, especially when combined with the spices in this recipe. Fresh, healthy and utterly divine!
- Taramasalata – this freshy, fishy Greek dish is all about quality ingredients. Make this amazing homemade taramasalata and you’ll never buy that store-bought slop that passes for taramasalata ever again!
Competition Question: How would you enjoy this blue cheese dip?Print