In the throes of winter, Cauliflower & Potato Soup is always welcome. Here is something different.
Soup, much like a fried egg, is difficult to get wrong. Unless you use dodgy ingredients or weird combinations, you should be able to come up with something palatable with the help of a stock cube.
This is the first time cauliflower features on Greedy Gourmet and this is a stunning recipe for you to try if you get a bit bored of my popular Leek and Potato Soup.
With the help of my Froothie Optimum 9400, it came out silky smooth.
What makes it so special? The white truffle oil. It’s optional but let me tell you more about this not-used-often-enough ingredient. White truffles are the most expensive variety available thanks to their rarity and unique earthy aroma.
They are available only two months of the year and sniffed out almost exclusively in Italy, although some have been found in Croatia, Slovenia and France.
The going rate is $2000-4500 per kilogram and two white truffles were recently bought by recently Celebrity Cruises’ Executive Chef, John Suley, for a whopping €302 000. Celebrity Cruises will be offering a truffle inspired menu to its lucky diners.
It’s fair to say not all of us could afford truffles at such luxurious prices. A good idea not to lose out on the flavour is by buying white truffle oil. Remember: a little goes a long way.
A quick look in these books reveal the following ingredients pair well with: asparagus, bacon, beef, blue cheese, cabbage, cauliflower, celery, chicken, egg, garlic, globe artichoke, mushroom, pork, potato, shellfish and soft cheese. It also works incredibly well in dishes such as pasta, risotto and salads.
Can you see where I’m going with this? Cauliflower, garlic, potatoes and white truffles. In my first attempt I made a pure cauliflower soup without the potato, which worked but was quite intense.
The potato gives the soup a bit more weight and balances the flavours handsomely. Add a dash of white truffle oil, toasted almonds and chopped chives and you’ll have a bowl of heaven in front of you.
By the way, if you’re a potato aficionado, check out these boulangere potatoes.
Recommended Soup Cookbooks
More smooth vegetable soup recipes
Need some more soup for the soul? Check out these divine recipes.
- Soup maker mushroom soup
- Slimming world butternut squash soup
- Swede soup
- Zucchini and leek soup
- Sweet potato and red pepper soup
- Marrow soup
- Wild garlic soup
- Leek and onion soup
- Pumpkin and sweet potato soup
- Vegan leek and potato soup
- Carrot soup
- Slow cooker sweet potato soup
- Chestnut soup
- Watercress soup
- Chickpea soup
- Brussels sprouts soup
- Cauliflower and potato soup
- Broccoli and stilton soup
- Leek and potato soup
- Butternut squash and orange soup
- Curried carrot and split pea soup
- Asparagus soup
- Avocado soup
- Pea soup
- Kabocha squash and butter bean soup
- Kabocha squash soup
- Potato and fennel soup
- Curried butternut squash and apple soup
- Broccoli, pea and leek soup
- Jerusalem artichoke soup
This cauliflower and potato soup is vegan and the two ingredients make this soup brilliantly white. You can omit the potato if you like and make it a pure cauliflower soup.
- 15ml (1 tbsp) vegetable oil
- 1 onion, weighing about 90g, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 small cauliflower, weighing around 400g (1 lb)
- 400g (1 lb), peeled potatoes
- 750ml (1 1/4 pt) vegetable stock
- toasted almonds
- truffle oil
- Sweat the onions and garlic in the oil.
- Add the cauliflower and potato to the pot.
- Pour in the stock and simmer until everything is fork tender.
- Transfer the contents to a blender and process until smooth.
- After dividing the soup into portions, scatter with almonds, chives and truffle oil.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 15
- Category: Starter
- Method: Boil
- Cuisine: Cuisine
- Calories: 149
- Sugar: Sugars
- Sodium: 37 mg
- Fat: 3.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 26.2 g
- Fiber: Dietary Fiber
- Protein: 4.5 g
Keywords: cauliflower and potato soup, cauliflower soup, cauliflower soup recipe
- Broccoli & Stilton Soup
- Leek & Potato Soup
- Cauliflower Cheese Soup with Broccoli
- Spicy Roasted Pepper and Cauliflower Soup
- Roast Tomato & Pepper Soup
P.S. This is a sponsored post.