Make the most of this unique root vegetable by making Jerusalem Artichoke Soup. It is sweet, nutty and earthy and is best served with a bit of cream.
- 30ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 900g (2 lbs) Jerusalem artichokes, peeled and sliced
- 900ml (1½ pints) vegetable stock
- 60ml (2 fl oz) cream [optional]
- 30g (1 oz) chives, washed and roughly chopped
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan; add the onion and garlic and gently sauté.
- When the onion has softened after about 5 minutes, add the Jerusalem artichokes and stock and stir well.
- Bring the contents to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer gently for 20 minutes or until the butternut is soft.
- Blend the soup with a hand-held blender or in a jug blender.
- Add the cream, season to taste and serve in four bowls and sprinkle with the herbs.
- If you’re on Weight Watchers, simply omit the oil and use low-fat cooking spray instead, which will turn the soup into 0 ProPoints!
- If you’re not vegan, you can halve the oil and add 15ml (1 tbsp) butter instead.
- If you’re on a low-fat diet, leave out the oil and butter and use low-fat cooking spray.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Boil
- Cuisine: British
Keywords: Jerusalem artichoke soup, vegan Jerusalem artichoke soup, vegan soup recipe, sunchoke soup, sunchoke recipe, Jerusalem artichoke recipe