Parmentier Potatoes are cubed pieces of potatoes that are roasted with garlic and herbs until golden and crunchy. Best served with other French recipes.
- 1kg (2lbs) potatoes, peeled and cut into 2.5cm (2in) cubes
- 45ml (3 tbsp) vegetable or sunflower oil
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 15ml (1 tbsp) fresh thyme leaves, washed and finely chopped
- 15ml (1 tbsp) fresh rosemary, washed and finely chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200°C / fan 180°C / 400°F / gas mark 6.
- Place the oil in a large roasting tin and place in the oven.
- Parboil the potatoes in a large pot of salted water over a high heat for 5 minutes. Do not overcook!
- They should still have a slight crunch to them.
- Drain them in a colander and let them completely dry.
- Remove the roasting tin from the oven and carefully place the potato cubes in a single layer.
- Turn them around a bit for all surfaces to get covered in oil.
- Roast in the oven for 20 minutes, then stir in the garlic and fresh herbs.
- Return to the oven for another 15 minutes or until the potatoes are golden and crispy.
- Season to taste and serve immediately. Parmentier Potatoes work as a side dish for most western meals. Enjoy!
- Feel free to experiment with different oils but keep in mind that it needs to have a high smoking point.
- You are welcome to keep the skins on the potatoes.
- If you can’t get hold of fresh herbs, you can play with different combinations of the following herbs: 10ml (2 tsp) garlic granules, 5ml (1 tsp) dried parsley, 10ml (2 tsp) dried rosemary and 10ml (2 tsp) dried thyme. Italian seasoning also works!
- Storage: These potatoes are not freezable but if you have any leftover, they will store for up to 3 days in the fridge. You can reheat them in the oven at 200°C / fan 180°C / 400°F / gas mark 6 for 15 minutes, until hot.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Roast
- Cuisine: French
Keywords: parmentier potatoes, French roast potatoes, herb roasted potatoes, herbed potato recipe, potato side dish recipe, roast cubed potatoes