A Ham en Kaas Souttert is just what you need for a hearty, simple family meal. I remember growing up in South African totally loving it. This South African meal is not the typical meal you would expect in terms of spice levels and cooking with wild game. This time its more of a traditional comfort meal that you would expect to eat during a busy week. The best part is that it stores really well and can keep up to three or four days in the fridge. Honestly, I don’t think there’s a need to worry about storing leftovers because when the family is done eating, there’s almost nothing left!
best selling South African cookbooks
- [easyazon_link identifier=”1544092466″ locale=”UK” tag=”greegour-21″ cloak=”n” localize=”y” popups=”n”]South African Food and Cooking: A Great and Easy Way to Learn South African Cooking![/easyazon_link]
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B00MPOD7QI” locale=”UK” tag=”greegour-21″ cloak=”n” localize=”y” popups=”n”]Traditional South African Cooking[/easyazon_link]
- [easyazon_link identifier=”0749007745″ locale=”UK” tag=”greegour-21″ cloak=”n” localize=”y” popups=”n”]South African Illustrated Cookbook, The[/easyazon_link]
- [easyazon_link identifier=”1868254038″ locale=”UK” tag=”greegour-21″ cloak=”n” localize=”y” popups=”n”]Best South African Braai Recipes[/easyazon_link]
- [easyazon_link identifier=”0805941878″ locale=”UK” tag=”greegour-21″ cloak=”n” localize=”y” popups=”n”]South African Gourmet Food and Wine: Traditional South African Food and More[/easyazon_link]
Its quite a filling meal, so in order to lighten it up it’s a good idea to serve souttert with a side salad or some green beans. If you don’t like to fuss too much around the kitchen, then this is the recipe for you. Enjoy exploring more of traditional South African cuisine and do leave a comment on how you got on.
souttert made easy
As Christmas is on its way, why not accelerate and simplify your cooking process in the kitchen with a clever range cooker? This will make cooking in batches an easy task and you can outbake and outcook all your relatives in advance. No need to keep waiting until the first batch of cookies is ready, if you know what I mean. Luckily for me, I am well equipped for this season with the Belling SANDRINGHAM100DFT 100cm Dual Fuel Range Cooker. It was everything I needed to prepare the souttert. [easyazon_image align=”none” cloak=”n” height=”500″ identifier=”B00MPOD7QI” locale=”UK” localize=”y” src=”https://www.greedygourmet.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/61q3cbudkL.jpg” tag=”greegour-21″ width=”373″] [easyazon_image align=”none” cloak=”n” height=”496″ identifier=”0749007745″ locale=”UK” localize=”y” src=”https://www.greedygourmet.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/512BVGTBokbL.jpg” tag=”greegour-21″ width=”380″]
The black version of the Belling SANDRINGHAM100DFT 100cm Dual Fuel Range Cooker was sent to me and it’s huge, measuring at H90 x W100 x D60cm. It has four cavities and seven burner gas hobs with cast iron pan supports. The main electric fan cooks food evenly on every shelf, so you won’t need to use specific shelves. There is even a space for a wok to make starry in! The two electric ovens provide a lot of room for cooking and now I can cook two different dishes at different temperatures. You need to bear two things in mind. Firstly, you need to make sure that no light switches are in line with the cooker as this can be a safety hazard. You’ll need to check the manufacturer instructions. Also, since the top of the cooker is gas and the bottom is electric, you’ll need a big red switch, with its own electric circuit. I didn’t have this in my kitchen and had to get an electrician in before the cooker could get installed. It’s a worthwhile investment to read the manual to learn important information and helping you to make full use of the cooker. It was a joy to cook the souttert, which was really easy and convenient. I made use of the gas hob to fry the onion and bacon and used the electric oven to bake it in. One thing I found a bit surprising was that I needed to hold the gas a little bit longer for it to catch. However, I think this is again a clever safety feature. Once I’ve put the souttert into the oven, I used the handy timer. Ta-da! Out came the souttert, in perfect shape! Please check out the video for a more detailed review of the Belling SANDRINGHAM100DFT 100cm Dual Fuel Range Cooker.
ham en kaas souttert definition
Souttert is a South African tart, made up of eggs, flour, whisked eggs and grated cheese. In a way it is like quiche from French cuisine. The actual meaning of souttert is ‘savoury tart’. Judging from recent comments, I saw that a lot of you were fascinated by South African cuisine. South African cuisine is delicious and offers very interesting recipes influenced by a melting pot of cultures from all over the world. So today, the ham en kaas souttert is evidence just how much South African cuisine was influenced by the French.
I’m not patriotic at all, but do I think that the souttert is nicer than the French’s version we all know as quiche. This is because the latter is quite eggy, rubbery and bouncy, whereas souttert glides more on the tongue. Souttert has a higher milk and flour content, so it has a smoother bite. Also, in South Africa, we tend to pack more ingredients into the tart.
In South Africa, you can buy souttert in a “tuisnywerheid”. A tuisnywerheid is a South African concept for housewives. Here, they can sell their baked goods and this is one of their regular offerings. Other items include melktert, kondensmelkhorinkies, koeksisters etc. Souttert is one of my favourites and it’s something I’ve missed since moving to the UK. Can you believe that it’s taken me this long to make it here in the UK? Ah, the memories! I did however make recently a lovely denningvleis – another delicious and traditional South African dish.
combinations and serving
‘Ham en kaas’ means ham and cheese. This is the classic combination that you will come across if you ever visit South Africa and try souttert. I like to include spinach in any tart, so spinach with cauliflower or broccoli would be very healthy. In the end, you can make all kinds of flavour combinations. I’ll leave it up to you and your taste preferences. So, what flavour combination would you go for? Leave a comment below!
As the souttert is a rather heavy and filling meal, you’ll need something to cut through this richness. This could be a simple green salad as a side with an acidic dressing. I also like to make a tomato salad with some olive oil. Generally, tomatoes are very high in terms of acidity, therefore they work well. Just add a bit of basil or parsley and you’ll have a delicious side salad. Just have a look at how the French eat their quiche – simple salad with mustard dressing.
Souttert is traditional South African boerekos enjoyed by the Afrikaans community. Ham and cheese are used as a filling in this sout tert recipe but you can play with different ingredients.
- 15ml (1 tbsp) olive oil
- 15ml (1 tbsp) butter, and extra for greasing
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 500g (1lb) raw bacon, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 30g (1oz) chives, finely chopped
- 250ml (1 cup) grated cheddar
- 4 large eggs, whisked
- 400ml (⅔ pt) milk
- 90g (3oz) flour, sieved
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas mark 4.
- Fry the onions in the butter and oil in a large frying pan until softened.
- Add the bacon pieces to the onions and fry on a high heat to brown the meat and get it fully cooked. Be careful not to burn so lower the heat if necessary.
- Remove from the heat and place it in a large mixing bowl to cool down.
- Stir in the grated cheese and chives.
- In another bowl, prepare the batter by mixing the eggs, milk and flour.
- Grease a pie dish, measuring at 30cm (12in), with butter.
- Spoon the bacon mixture in the pie dish and spread the contents evenly.
- Pour the batter in and even out the filling.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until the top is golden and the center cooked.
- Serve with salad with acidic dressing to cut through the richness.
- Category: Main Course
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: South African
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 675
- Sugar: 5.1 g
- Sodium: 2141 mg
- Fat: 45.5 g
- Saturated Fat: 15.8 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 20.3 g
- Fiber: 1.3 g
- Protein: 44.3 g
- Cholesterol: 231 mg
Keywords: souttert resep, souttert recipe, sout tert resep met bacon, South African souttert recipe
save the recipe to your pinterest board
P.S. This is a sponsored post.