Honey chilli chicken is one of those easy dishes you can whip up at any time of the week. Needless to say, honey chilli chicken is full of Asian flavours that can match any Chinese takeaway restaurant.
Better yet, not only is this honey chilli chicken prepared with fresh ingredients, it's also inexpensive. By making this Chinese 'fakeaway' at home, you'll save tons of money on purchasing expensive takeaways and delivery charges.
Be honest and make a calculation, how much have you spent on takeaways recently?
What's more, when you're making the dish in the comfort of your kitchen, you can manipulate the ingredients in this honey chilli chicken. For instance, you can turn this dish into a vegetarian or vegan meal if you wish to alter your current diet.
So, what are you waiting for? Come and explore this delicious honey chilli chicken recipe.
products you need for this recipeHere is a list of things you'll need to recreate this delicious chicken recipe. My favourite part of making an Asian dish is the fact that I get to reuse a lot of the ingredients and products that I need for this recipe. For instance, take a look at these below:
- premium soy sauce - you only need a splash of soy sauce for this honey chilli chicken. The soy sauce can last you forever and you can use it to flavour other Asian dishes like these ginger prawns with soy sauce.
- premium honey - the better quality your honey, the more delicious your honey chilli sauce will taste.
- Wok - these work fabulously with stir fries like this one. It's also an excellent way to prepare your honey chilli chicken.
- coconut sugar - an excellent alternative to sugar and honey if you wish to steer your diet towards a healthier one.
- Chinese chopsticks - what better way to enjoy a Chinese dish than with chopsticks? Forget the reusable ones. These are far better for the environment.
honey chilli chicken recipe
This honey chilli chicken recipe calls for typical Asian herbs and spices. For instance, you will need some fresh ginger, spring onions, sweet chilli sauce, soy sauce, lemon, honey, cornstarch, sugar and sesame seeds for the perfect finish.
This recipe is divided into three parts: the batter, the sauce and the garnish. All of these are interchangeable and you can use them with other Asian recipes. For instance, like these:
- salt and chilli chicken - which is best served with salt and chilli chips
- shrimp in oyster sauce - you can also use the batter from this honey and chilli chicken recipe for the shrimp
- orange peel chicken - a zesty and tangy Asian fakeaway recipe
- chicken in oyster sauce stir fry with mushrooms - sounds like a flavourful combination
- crispy chilli beef - you can use the sauce from this honey chilli chicken recipe and combine it with the beef
- Hong Kong-Style Sweet And Sour Chicken - A classic
With incredible Chinese fakeway dishes like these, you'll never need to go out or order food on the telephone again! That's a promise.
sticky honey chilli chicken slimming world
If you are following the slimming world programme, you might want to make a few adjustments to this chicken recipe – just in case you're low on your syn allowances for the day.
This honey chilli chicken recipe is not the lowest in terms of sugar, so first things first. Omit the batter in this recipe and simply cook the chicken inside the sauce itself. Simply said, this will lower your carb intake.
This step will come in very handy if you are low in your carb allowance. Next, omit using sugar and add honey instead.
Try to limit the amount of honey you add inside the recipe. The best and healthiest alternative I've come to use recently is the addition of organic coconut sugar.
1 teaspoon of honey contains 1 syn. Also, 1 teaspoon of sugar contains 1 syn.
Also, don't forget to use a low-calorie cooking spray for the honey chilli chicken. A low-calorie cooking spray doesn't include any syns at all. So, if you are low on your syn allowance, go for this option.
honey chilli chicken sauce
The honey chilli sauce is integral to making this recipe shine – literally! The goal is to obtain a shiny gloss on your battered chicken.
You can add different ingredients to the sauce to manipulate the flavour. For instance, you can add:
- lemon, lime or orange zest
- fresh pineapple
Then the chicken will take on a sweet and sour style of flavour.
how to serve this Asian chicken recipe
You can also try wild rice. Otherwise, if you wish to pair the dish with something lighter, feel free to pair it with the following:
- light Mediterranean salad with Mediterranean salad dressing or sugar free salad dressing
- roasted green beans with garlic (excellent source of fibre)
- roasted beetroot
- pumpkin and beetroot salad
You can also serve the honey chilli chicken with a bowl of quinoa or with couscous.
best toppings for this Asian recipe
Come and take a look at some of the best topping suggestions for this chilli chicken recipe. In fact, you can use some of these for any type of Asian dish. Take a look below.
- fresh herbs: Thai basil, parsley, fresh coriander leaves, chives, oregano or watercress
- thin slices of red onion, white Italian onion, scallions or spring onions
- thin slices of lemongrass for a more fragrant version of the honey chilli chicken
- orange, lemon or lime zest for a citrusy bite
- sweetcorn or baby corn
- fresh red or green chillies (you can also try jalapenos which are milder)
- sesame seeds (my favourite topping for Asian dishes like this one)
How would you serve this honey chilli chicken recipe? Let me know.Print