This King Prawn Butterfly is the perfect starter/canapé to any meal. Make this classic Indian starter recipe at home today!
- 12 king prawns
- 1 egg, whisked
- 150g (5oz) panko crumbs
- 60g (2oz) gram flour
- 2.5cm (½ tsp) curry powder
- 2.5cm (½ tsp) chilli powder
- 2.5cm (½ tsp) ground ginger
- 5ml (1 tsp) garlic granules
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Remove the head of the prawn.
- Using a sharp knife, make an incision down the centre of the shell on the back of the prawn and take out the black vein.
- Remove the shell but leave the tail intact.
- Flatten the prawn lightly, and repeat the process with the rest of the prawns.
- Whisk the egg with the curry powder, chilli, ginger and garlic. Season.
- Place the flour and panko on two respective plates.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan or deep fryer. Test the oil by dropping a bit of batter in it. It should sizzle immediately.
- Dip the prawn into the egg batter, then cover with flour, and lastly with panko.
- Lower the prawn with a spatula into the oil and fry until browned, crisp and cooked through. Remove the prawn with a spatula or tongs. Drain on a kitchen towel.
- Repeat the process with all the prawns.
- Serve with salad and a sweet chilli dip. Pakora sauce works too! Enjoy!
- The size of the prawns affect the cooking time. Smaller prawns might only take 2 minutes while bigger ones will take longer.
- Don’t overcrowd the saucepan with prawns because it will lower the temperature of the oil and cook unevenly. Do it in batches instead.
- Category: Starter
- Method: Deep Fry
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: king prawn butterfly recipe, indian king prawn butterfly, king prawn starter, indian starter recipe