Brinjal bhaji, also known as “aubergine bhaji”, is a vegan aubergine recipe that is typically served as a starter or side dish as part of an Indian meal.
- 2 large aubergines/eggplants
- 30ml (2 tbsp) vegetable oil
- 2.5ml (½ tsp) cumin seeds
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 whole dried red chillies
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 5ml (1 tsp) red chilli powder
- 5ml (1 tsp) cumin, roasted and ground
- 2 chopped tomatoes
- 2.5cm (1 inch) piece of ginger, chopped
- 2 green chillies, chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1.25ml (¼ tsp) garam masala
- 15ml (1 tbsp) chopped fresh coriander
- Cook the aubergine in the tandoor or alternatively, smear a little oil on the aubergine and roast it in a moderate oven for about 10-15 minutes. When the skin starts to wrinkle and soften, allow to cool, then peel off the skin and mash to a pulp.
- Heat oil in a pan, add cumin seeds and red chillies and when they begin to crackle, add the garlic and sauté will golden brown.
- Now add the onions and sauté until they too begin to turn brown.
- Add the chilli powder and cumin powder and cook for half a minute.
- Add the tomatoes and cook until they are mashed.
- Add the ginger and green chillies and mix in the mashed aubergine pulp and stir well for two more minutes.
- Add salt and fresh coriander and sprinkle the garam masala.
- Mix well and turn the heat off after 30 seconds.
- Serve with your peshwari naan or kashmiri naan.
- Category: Curry
- Method: Braise
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: brinjal bhaji, aubergine bhaji, indian aubergine recipes, indian side dish, vegan indian recipe, brinjal recipes,