Brinjal bhaji, also known as “aubergine bhaji”, is a vegan aubergine recipe that is typically served as a starter or side dish as part of an Indian meal.
- 2 large aubergines
- 30ml (2 tbsp) vegetable oil
- 2.5ml (½ tsp) cumin seeds
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 whole dried red chillies
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 5ml (1 tsp) red chilli powder
- 5ml (1 tsp) cumin, roasted and ground
- 2 chopped tomatoes
- 2.5cm (1 inch) piece of ginger, chopped
- 2 green chillies, chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1.25ml (¼ tsp) garam masala
- 15ml (1 tbsp) chopped fresh coriander
- Cook the aubergine in the tandoor or alternatively, smear a little oil on the aubergine and roast it in a moderate oven for about 10-15 minutes. When the skin starts to wrinkle and soften, allow to cool, peel off the skin and mash to a pulp.
- Heat oil in a pan, add cumin seeds and red chillies and when they begin to crackle, add the garlic and sauté will golden brown. Now add the onions and sauté till they too begin to turn brown. Add the chilli powder and cumin powder and cook for half a minute. Add the tomatoes and cook till they are mashed. Add the ginger and green chillies and mix in the mashed aubergine pulp and stir well for two more minutes.
- Add salt and fresh coriander and sprinkle the garam masala. Mix well and turn the heat off after 30 seconds.
Serve as a side with with a full Indian meal or enjoy as lunch with bread of your choice.
- Category: Curry
- Method: Braise
- Cuisine: Indian
- Serving Size: 346g
- Calories: 122
- Sugar: 2.8 g
- Sodium: 4 mg
- Fat: 7.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 10 g
- Fiber: 6.3 g
Keywords: brinjal bhaji, brinjal recipes, aubergine bhaji, indian aubergine recipes