I keep a stash of recipes that are ready for publishing in a folder. Ready to do some spring cleaning I paged to the oldest one. Yikes! September was only yesterday, wasn’t it? But…but…but it’s 6 months ago! How could this recipe go unnoticed by me? Okay, let’s admit it; it’s not as fancy as some of the dazzling recipes on Greedy Gourmet but that doesn’t mean it’s less tasty. The reason why I really like this recipe is because it takes boring boiled rice and adds a dash of flavour, a splash of colour and sweetness to it, which makes it a very appealing and appetising side dish.
A traditional and nutritious sweet potato and rice dish. Perfect as a simple family recipes. Best with basmati rice, however this sweet potato rice recipe works as well with Arborio rice. Use parsley as garnish.
- 30ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 kg (2 lbs) sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 400g (14 oz) rice, e.g. basmati
- 1L (4 cups) vegetable stock
- parsley, as garnish (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and fry the garlic gently for 1 minute.
- Add the sweet potato and rice to the saucepan and make sure you coat them with the oil. Add the hot vegetable stock and turn the heat down to simmering.
- Cover and cook gently for 15-20 minutes, till all the stock is absorbed and the rice and sweet potato is cooked. Garnish with parsley and serve immediately.
- This side-dish is very versatile and will go well with grilled fish or any stew or casserole.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 423
- Sugar: 12.2 g
- Sodium: 592 mg
- Fat: 4 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 87.9 g
- Fiber: 8.8 g
- Protein: 9.5 g