Discover the secret to making the perfect white sauce, known as béchamel sauce, balsamell or besciamella.
- 60g (2oz) butter
- 60g (2oz) flour
- 600ml (1pt) milk
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan.
- Add the flour and stir continuously until a roux (paste) forms. Continue to cook for another 2 minutes.
- Gradually pour in the milk while stirring vigorously, until you get a smooth sauce.
- Cook for 5 to 10 minutes, continuously stirring until the sauce has thickened to your desired consistency.
- Season to taste and serve with greens.
- Category: Sauce
- Method: Boil
- Cuisine: French
Keywords: white sauce recipe, how to make white sauce, white sauce for pasta