Learn how to make this delicious and easy sweet potato curry with spinach and mushrooms. Full of West African ingredients and flavours, a delicious element of this curry is the addition of peanut butter.
Together, the result is a heart-warming curry that will make you want more with every single bite. In total, it will take you about 40 minutes to prepare this vegetarian dinner recipe. Hence, you can make this on any night, no matter how hectic your day was.
Curry with peanut butter
Curry and peanut butter might sound like a strange combination, but in reality it works beautifully. There’s a reason why chicken satay is adored all over the world!
In fact, peanut butter has tonnes of savoury applications. It can be added to curries, sauces, used in rubs, completely transforming the dish.
Curried Sweet Potato Stew
In this easy sweet potato curry, the peanut butter adds depth and nuttiness to the vegetables, but also tempers the cayenne pepper and curry spices. So, the peanut butter is a definite game changer that elevates the flavours of this curry to the next level.
My recipe calls for America’s original SKIPPY® Peanut Butter. SKIPPY® Peanut Butter has over 80 years of authentic American heritage. What makes it stand out are the high-quality American peanuts which are made to make it. Altogether, the result is creamy, silky smooth peanut butter that makes you want to lick off the spoon incessantly.
Did you know that SKIPPY® Peanut Butter is also an excellent source of protein? With only two tablespoons, you’ll already have 15% of the recommended daily intake. The best part is that it is lower in sugar in comparison to other peanut butter spreads.
You can find SKIPPY® Peanut Butter for approximately RRP £2.40 per 340g jar. In addition, it’s available in many varieties such as: Smooth and Extra Crunchy. For more information on SKIPPY® click right here. So make this sweet potato curry with peanut butter and be ‘Smooth Like SKIPPY®’.
Savoury peanut butter recipes
If you are a total lover of peanut butter, then here are other peanut butter recipes that which might interest you:
Sweet peanut butter recipes
Naturally, we all know that peanut butter works perfectly with sweet recipes. Check these out:
- Peanut butter coconut balls
- No churn peanut butter oreo ice cream
- Peanut butter jelly and ice cream
- Peanut butter, pecan and caramel brownies
Sweet potato and chicken curry
Not only does the peanut butter add a richness to the sweet potato curry, it also makes it more filling. This makes it ideal for vegans and vegetarians, but meat can be added if you so prefer. If you’re health minded, add lean white meat such as chicken or turkey breast, which is an excellent source of protein.
For more delicious chicken or turkey curry recipes, check these out below:
- Leftover turkey curry – if you’ve purchased a large turkey, this leftover curry is perfect for those leftovers.
- Simple chicken curry – just like this easy sweet potato curry, this chicken curry recipe is also easy to replicate.
- Green Thai chicken curry – this is one of my favourites!
- Chicken jalfrezi curry – if you feel like having some Indian flavours with your chicken
Indian Sweet potato curry
As this recipe has a West African vibe to it, you can alter it to give it an Indian spirit. In fact, you don’t even have to change the recipe at all. All you need to do is just add traditional Indian spices to the sweet potato curry and you’ll have a completely different dish.
Therefore, consider the following additions:
- Turmeric and garam masala powder – these two spices will definitely give the curry an Indian twist
- Curry base sauce – if you add a splash of curry base sauce to the sweet potato curry, the flavour will change instantly. The curry base sauce is already simmered with tonnes of Indian spices.
- Cubed paneer – paneer is a type of Indian cheese. This will turn this recipe into more of a paneer curry.
- Chilli peppers – in my opinion, no Indian curry would be complete without the addition of fresh chilli peppers. These can be either red or green.
These are just the basic sides. As a lighter side dish, you can consider masala chana chaat.
Sweet potato curry with coconut milk
You can also opt to add coconut milk into the sweet potato curry. Just refrain from adding the full 500ml (2 cups) of the vegetable stock. Add only half of it, 250ml (1 cup), and make up the difference with coconut milk.
You can add extra coconut milk or coconut cream to make things extra saucy! Of course, you can also omit the vegetable stock altogether and let the ingredients simmer in just coconut milk. The result will an indulgent creamy curry.
best toppings for curries
Here are my favourite curry toppings which you can experiment with:
- grated coconut
- fresh coriander leaves or parsley
- thin slices of lemon grass
- kaffir lime leaves or these kaffir lime leaves substitutes
- fresh red or green chilli peppers
- coconut milk for garnishing
- spring onions, red onions or scallions
- roasted peanuts – works especially well if you used peanut butter in the recipe
What is your favourity way to use peanut butter?Print
The secret to this Sweet Potato Curry is the use of peanut butter. Be prepared to be blown away by this vegan curry recipe.
- 2 onions, peeled and sliced
- 60ml (4 tbsp) groundnut oil
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 10ml (2 tsp) ginger root, grated
- 225g (8 oz) mushrooms, quartered
- 350g (12 oz) sweet potatoes, cut into 2.5cm (1 inch) cubes
- 500ml (17 fl oz) vegetable stock
- 1.25ml (¼ tsp) cayenne pepper
- 15ml (1 tbsp) mild curry powder
- 45ml (3 tbsp) tomato purée
- 60ml (4 tbsp) SKIPPY® Smooth Peanut Butter
- 15ml (1 tbsp) brown sugar
- 225g (8 oz) spinach leaves, washed and trimmed
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) coriander, chopped
- salt and pepper
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the onion, garlic and ginger, and fry gently for 10 minutes.
- Once the onions have softened, turn up the heat and fry the mushrooms until cooked, which should take about 5 minutes.
- Tip the contents out into a bowl and set aside.
- Using the same pan, add sweet potato, stock, cayenne, curry powder and tomato puree.
- Give it a stir and let the sweet potato gently simmer until just cooked, which should take no more than 10 minutes.
- Mix a few spoonfuls of the stew juices with the peanut butter to soften it, and then add to the sweet potato.
- Stir in brown sugar, then tip the onion and mushroom mixture back into the pan.
- Add the spinach and let it wilt, cooking for no more than 3 minutes.
- Season to taste and serve with rice, sprinkled with coriander.
- Rice is ideal for this dish, since it soaks up all the sauce and flavour!
- Button or portobello mushrooms can be used instead of the standard white ones.
- Add a splash of water if the curry sauce gets too thick.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Curry
- Method: Boil
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: sweet potato curry, vegan sweet potato stew recipe, savoury peanut butter dish