This is comfort food at its best. It doesn’t have to cost an arm or a leg either in order to be tasty. What I particularly liked was the sweetness of the onions that came through. Although it is a bit of trouble to make, it is so worth it. Did I mention Neil prepared it for us? Girls, get your men in the kitchen!
Pork Sausage & Red Onion Pasta Bake
Prep 30 minutes
Cook 40 minutes
Total 70 minutes
Author: Michelle Minnaar
for the sauce
- 600ml (1 pint) milk
- 30ml (2 tbsp) plain flour
- 40g (1½ oz) butter
for the bake
- 500g (1lb 2oz) pork sausages, e.g. Cumberland
- 60ml (4 tbsp) oil
- 2 red onions, thinly sliced
- 300g (10½ oz) penne
- 30ml (2 tbsp) fresh sage or 5ml (1 tsp) dried sage
- 50g (2 oz) grated Cheddar cheese
- Put milk, flour and butter into a saucepan and whisk continuously over a medium heat, until the butter has melted and the sauce has thickened. Leave to simmer over a very low heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season well.
- Remove the skin from the sausages. Roughly break meat into small, chunky pieces and fry in half the oil for 3-4 minutes until crispy. Set aside.
- Add the other half of the oil to the pan and cook the onions for 5 minutes, until golden.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in boiling salted water according to packet instructions, then drain well.
- Mix the pasta with the sausages, onions, sage and the sauce. Season into an ovenproof dish and cover with breadcrumbs mixed with the cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes until golden and crusty on top. Serve immediately.
Serving Size 1 serving
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 17.825g
Saturated Fat 6.15g
Total Carbohydrates 16.125g
Dietary Fiber 1.475g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.