Confession time. Looking at these photos you will realise that I’m a lover of all things saucy. Plus I was darn hungry when doing this photo shoot and went a little bit overboard. For me it is utter bliss if there is sauce with meat, sauce with mash, sauce with vegetables, sauce with EVERYTHING. For all sauceaholics out there this recipe is dead simple to follow and the end result scrumptious!
Pork Sausages with Onion & Red Wine Sauce
Prep 40 minutes
Cook 5 minutes
Total 45 minutes
Author: Michelle Minnaar
- 8 pork sausages
- 15ml (1 tbsp) oil
- 45g (3 tbsp) butter
- 1 red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 250ml (1 cup) red wine
- 250ml (1 cup) beef stock
- 15ml (1 tbsp) redcurrant jelly
- 5ml (1 tsp) corn starch/corn flour [optional]
- Bake the sausages in the oven at 160°C/fan 140°C/325°F/gas 3.
- Meanwhile, fry the onions with the butter and oil in a large frying pan until soft. Add the wine and let it bubble for a minute or two. Add the stock and let the sauce slowly simmer while the sausages are cooking. By the time the sausages are cooked the sauce would have reduced by half.
- Stir in the redcurrant jelly.
- If you would like to thicken the sauce a bit, mix the cornstarch with a bit of water and slowly add it to the sauce, stirring constantly until thickened.
- Serve the sausages and pour the sauce on top.
- Place the sausages onto piles of fluffy mash. Steamed greens on the side will do.
- This sauce also works well with beef steak.
Serving Size 1 serving
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 20g
Saturated Fat 8.7g
Total Carbohydrates 7.9g
Dietary Fiber 0.5g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.