Vegan sweet potato gnocchi are a simple and easy to make Italian gnocchi recipe. Make sweet potato gnocchi from scratch and combine with aromatic herbs.
- 500ml (2 cups) mashed sweet potatoes
- 250ml (1 cup) all-purpose flour
- 5ml (1 tsp) salt
- Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas mark 6.
- Prick the sweet potatoes in several places and bake for 45 mins until soft.
- Remove from the oven and wait for the vegetables to be cool enough to handle.
- Slice open the sweet potatoes, scoop out the flesh and mash until smooth.
- Dust a clean working surface with flour.
- Mix the flour and salt together then create a small mountain and make a hole in the center.
- Place the sweet potato mash in the center and, using your hands, incorporate the two ingredients thoroughly together.
- If the dough is sticky, as a light dusting of flour. Don’t be tempted by adding more and more flour because the end result will be very heavy and doughy gnocchi. Keep it light!
- Form a dough ball then split it evenly into four pieces.
- Roll each piece out into a log of 2.5cm (1in) thick.
- Each piece should be 2.5cm (1in) long. Once cut, push down with a fork to create gnocchi’s trademark grooved look.
- Cook the gnocchi in a large pot full of salted water. Cooked gnocchi with rise to the surface. It usually takes a few minutes.
- Drain and serve with your favourite sauce. See suggestion below.
- To make the sweet potato mash, bake 1kg (2lbs) sweet potatoes in a preheated oven (200°C/180°C fan/gas mark 6) for 45 minutes. When cool enough to handle, scoop out the flesh and mash until smooth. Measure out 500ml (2 cups) of sweet potato mash and use the remainder for something else. Proceed with the recipe.
- Fresh gnocchi stores in the fridge for 3 days and also freezes well.
- In this recipe, I gave the gnocchi dish a autumnal, Far Eastern twist. Gently fry the cooked gnocchi in coconut oil and sprinkle with pecan nuts, fresh chillies and cilantro. Enjoy.
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 256
- Sugar: 7.4 g
- Sodium: 416 mg
- Carbohydrates: 56.4 g
- Fiber: 3.2 g
- Protein: 6.1 g