The Western world’s version of Chinese food tend to be on the heavy side. Start with something light, fresh and authentic.
Chinese New Year is upon us. How are you planning on celebrating it? If you’re on a tight budget or the thought of eating an unhealthy load of MSG puts you off, then it’s probably better to steer clear from Chinese restaurants and takeaway. That leaves concocting something yourself at home and I must admit that even I sometimes feel a bit intimidated by the thought of preparing a Chinese meal. This is where you’ll often find me red-handed with ready-made stir-fry sauces such as Sweet and Sour and Chow Mein from Amoy. It simply makes life so much easier!
Pai huang gua is super easy and quick to prepare. What I especially like about it is its low calorie content and that it will complement just about any dish. During the week, I sometimes eat this salad with baked new potatoes and if you’re on a diet, this is a dream meal. Vegans can rejoice too. Happy Chinese New Year everyone!
A special thanks to Denby for providing me these beautiful grey and black bowls.
Cook Chinese Food at Home
- Gok Cooks Chinese
- Ching’s Fast Food
- Chinese Food Made Easy
- Every Grain of Rice: Simple Chinese Home Cooking
- Gok’s Wok
- Prep Time: 15
- Total Time: 15
- Yield: 4 1x
- 2 English cucumbers
- 1 red chili, finely sliced [optional]
- 1 bunch spring onions, finely sliced [optional]
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 15ml (1 tbsp) rice vinegar
- 15ml (1 tbsp) light soy sauce
- 15ml (1 tbsp) sesame oil
- 5ml (1 tsp) caster sugar
- 2.5ml (1/2 tsp) salt
- Smash the cucumbers with a rolling pin on a chopping board. After their insides split open, cut into bite-sized pieces and place in a bowl.
- Add the chili and onions to the cucumber and mix.
- Place the garlic, vinegar, soy sauce, oil, sugar and salt and in a small bowl and stir until everything is more or less incorporated.
- Pour the sauce onto the cucumber mixture and stir well.
- Serve immediately.
- Cuisine: Cuisine
- Calories: 56
- Sugar: Sugars
- Sodium: 433 mg
- Fat: 1.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 9.7 g
- Fiber: Dietary Fiber
- Protein: 2.1 g
save the recipe to your pinterest board