- 450g (1lb) bacon lardons
- 30g (1oz) butter
- 15ml (1 tbsp) oil
- 450g (1lb) onions, peeled and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 900g (2lbs) braising steak, cubed
- 30ml (2 tbsp) plain flour
- 250ml (1 cup) red wine
- 500ml (2 cups) beef stock
- 30ml (2 tbsp) tomato puree
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 thyme sprigs
- 600g (1½ lbs) mushrooms, cleaned and chopped
- 600g (1½ lbs) carrots, peeled and chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 170°C/fan 150°C/340°F/gas mark 3.
- Fry the bacon with the butter and oil in a large ovenproof casserole dish until browned.
- Add the onions and garlic and fry until translucent.
- Add the beef and fry until browned.
- Stir in the flour then pour in the wine, stock and tomato puree.
- Add the bay and thyme, then the mushrooms and carrots.
- Stir everything then bring the contents to a slow bubble.
- Place the casserole in the oven and cook for 1 hour. Lower the heat to 140°C/fan 120°C/280°F/gas mark 1 and cook for another 2 hours, or until tender.
- Serve with mash and greens.
- This stew freezes well.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 518
- Sugar: 7.9 g
- Sodium: 866 mg
- Fat: 24 g
- Saturated Fat: 9 g
- Carbohydrates: 18.7 g
- Fiber: 4.3 g
- Protein: 51.2 g
- Cholesterol: 104 mg