Here is another reason I love roast chicken. The possibilities of what you can do with leftovers are endless and this is just another way you can enjoy them. Rich and satisfying, salty and crunchy on top. Just perfect.
Chicken, Leek & Pasta Bake
Preparation: 30 mins – Cooking: 30 mins
- 600ml (1 pint) milk
- 30ml (2 tbsp) plain flour
- 60g (1½ oz) butter
- 300g (10½ oz) macaroni
- 2 leeks, sliced
- 500g (1lb 2oz) cooked chicken, skinned and cut into bite-size pieces
- 40g (1½oz) fresh white breadcrumbs
- 40g (1½ oz) Parmesan
- Put milk, flour and half the butter into a saucepan and whisk continuously over a medium heat, until the butter has melted and the sauce has thickened. Leave to simmer over a very low heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season well.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/400°F/gas 6.
- Melt the remaining butter in a frying pan and fry the leeks gently until soft.
- Meanwhile, cook macaroni in boiling salted water according to packet instructions, then drain.
- When the leeks are ready, place the sauce, chicken, pasta and leeks in a large bowl and stir thoroughly.
- Spoon the mixture into a shallow ovenproof dish. Mix together breadcrumbs and Parmesan and sprinkle over the top.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes until golden and crusty on top.
- Spoon onto 4 warmed plates and serve with a crisp, green salad.
- When I feel too lazy to make the sauce, I use a big wodge of mascarpone instead. Melt it gently in a pan and then stir all the ingredients with it thoroughly.
- Use any type of pasta you have available or that you fancy.
- Experiment with or vary the chicken, pasta, leek and sauce ratios. It is very difficult not to get a delicious result!