Make this pumpkin and sweet potato soup in just a few steps and master this ultimate vegan soup recipe. Use any type of pumpkin, spice it up and enjoy!
- 30ml (2 tbsp) oil
- 4 onions, peeled and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 10cm (4in) fresh ginger root, peeled and sliced
- 1 red chillies, washed and sliced [optional]
- 2 celery sticks, washed and chopped
- 2kg (4½lbs) squash, peeled and seeded, cut into chunks
- 700g (1½lbs) sweet potato, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1ℓ (4 cups) vegetable stock
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan.
- Gently fry the onions until they have softened, which will take around 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, ginger, chillies and celery, and saute for 5 minute.
- Place the squash, sweet potato and stock into the pot as well.
- Increase the heat and let the content reach a slow simmer.
- Cover the saucepan with a tight lid and let it cook for 15 minutes or until the squash and sweet potato are tender.
- Blend the soup until smooth in batches in a food processor.
- Serve with your favourite toppings, such as coriander leaves, pumpkin seeds, (alternative) cream, chillies, plus salt and pepper. Bread always works as an accompaniment!
- This recipe is ideal for batch cooking and freezes well.
- If you don’t want such a big quantity, you can easily halve the ingredients to serve 4.
- If you prefer soups of a thinner consistency, add more stock to your preference. This can easily done after the cooking process but while you’re blending the contents.
- A portion works out at 4 Weight Watchers Smart Points.
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 178
- Sugar: 12.7 g
- Sodium: 151 mg
- Fat: 4.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 32.9 g
- Fiber: 6.9 g
- Protein: 5.6 g