What do you get when you let a toddler loose in the kitchen? A royal mess! Seriously, has anyone tried baking with a two year old?
A few weeks ago the last of this summer’s courgettes were ogling me from a corner in the kitchen. I had to use it somehow but we have all overdosed on eating it as a vegetable. Then on the not-so-hot summer’s day I got the crazy idea that Gabriel and I should start baking together. It will be fun! Well, it was for him more than me. What was addictive to see was the endless amount of enthusiasm he showed for our little project.
Shaking with excitement he completely missed pouring the carefully measured flour in the mixing bowl. Just as I started swearing under my breath he looked up at me with sparkling eyes with a huge grin on his face. Due to physical constraints he could only smile so big and the rest of his happiness radiated from his whole being. How could I possibly get annoyed with him?
The biggest mistake I made was letting him run through the rest of the house before cleaning him up first. The trail of devastation could be seen everywhere; drips on the carpet and sticky finger smears on the furniture.
But you know what? It was fun and we’re doing it again!
Chocolate and Courgette Cake
Prep 45 minutes
Cook 15 minutes
Total 60 minutes
Author: Michelle Minnaar
- 120g (4 oz) softened unsalted butter
- 125ml (4½ fl oz) sunflower oil
- 100g (3½ oz) caster sugar
- 200g (½ lb) soft brown sugar
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 130ml (4½ fl oz) milk
- 350g (¾ lb) plain flour
- 10ml (2 tsp) baking powder
- 60ml (4 tbsp) cocoa powder
- 450g (1lb) courgettes, peeled and finely grated
- 5ml (1 tsp) vanilla extract
- Put the butter, oil and both sugars in a bowl and beat them together until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in the eggs and then the milk.
- Sift the dry ingredients together and fold them into the mixture. Stir in the courgettes and vanilla, then spoon the mixture into a 20 x 35xm baking tin lined with baking parchment. Place in an oven preheated to 190°C/fan 170°C/ fan 375°F/gas 4 and bake for 35-45 minutes, until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cut into squares whilst still warm.
- While I simply dusted mine with icing sugar, I felt something more was needed to complete this cake. Use the chocolate icing from this chocolate cake or simply enjoy with ice cream.
Serving Size 1 serving
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 20.36g
Saturated Fat 7.395g
Total Carbohydrates 49.526g
Dietary Fiber 0.772g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Other cake recipes from friendly bloggers:
- A perfect summer cake from Coffee & Vanilla.