A very green soup indeed. Sometimes it is difficult to get your 5-a-day, but this soup really helps in this regard, not to mention all the fibre it contains. It seems like an unlikely combination but once you try it you’ll appreciate the verdant and robust taste of the broccoli, the sweetness of the peas and the “leeky” flavour. The potato helps to give the soup a bit more “weight”, in other words more substance so that it can easily be served as a main meal. What’s more this soup can be enjoyed year round.
Broccoli, Pea & Leek Soup
- 30ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 250g (9 oz) trimmed leeks, sliced
- 250g (9 oz) peeled potatoes, diced
- 1L (4 cups) vegetable stock
- 250g (9 oz) broccoli florets
- 250g (9 oz) peas, frozen or fresh
- salt and ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan; add the onion and leeks and sauté for three minutes.
- Add the potatoes and stock. Cover, bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the broccoli and peas, cover, return to the boil and simmer for a further 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Set aside to cool slightly, then purée in a blender or food processor until smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper and return to the saucepan and reheat gently until piping hot. Ladle into soup bowls and enjoy.
- In the spirit of this healthy recipe, slices of wholegrain bread complements this dish nicely.
- If you prefer soup to be of a thinner consistency, add a bit more stock in Step 2.
Serving Size 1 serving
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 4.8 g
Saturated Fat 1.6 g
Sodium 471 mg
Total Carbohydrates 18.2 g
Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
Sugars 4.5 g
Protein 3.4 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.