If you’ve never tried homemade duck liver parfait, then you don’t know what you are missing out on. First of all, duck liver parfait is an excellent way to enjoy the rich flavour of the duck.
Use it as a spread on a piece of toast / bread and serve it along with these sophisticated brandied pears or Amaretto cherries. The fruit cuts through the rich and fatty texture of the duck liver.
It’s no secret that duck liver parfait is a delicacy. In fact, you can find it being served as a starter all around France with a piece of baguette.
Understandably, who could resist a little taste of velvety duck liver parfait? This parfait recipe is not only delicious, but easy to make.
Don’t believe me? Come and be persuaded. Try out this festive recipe and impress everyone with your cooking! Enjoy.
products you need for this recipeHere’s a list of the top products you need to make this fantastic Christmas starter:
- Port – the duck liver parfait recipe calls for the addition of port, which adds a lovely rich flavour
- Brandy – the brandy will help infuse all the flavours of the different elements of this recipe
- Set of terrines – you can also opt to serve the duck liver parfait with a delicate terrine
- Venison pâté – serve it alongside this duck liver parfait
- Parfait serving dish – there is no reason why you shouldn’t serve this duck liver parfait just like they do in the restaurants
- Red wine – I enjoy creamy parfaits with a glass of full-bodied dry red wine (make sure you have some bottles from sunny regions in stock)
duck liver parfait recipe
My duck liver parfait calls for a handful of ingredients. You’ll need 1 kg of duck livers, butter, milk, herbs as well as port and brandy.
That being said, although these are not the most inexpensive ingredients, they will last you for ages. Moreover, you’ll not only be able to enjoy a glass of port or brandy on occasion, you’ll also be able to make delicious recipes with them.
For instance, when it comes to savoury recipes, you can inspire yourself with the following combinations:
- Chicken breast with creamy peppercorn sauce – just add a splash of brandy to complete this recipe
- Game casserole – this casserole wouldn’t be complete without the addition of port
- Ostrich fillet with creamy blueberry sauce – dare to try something new like ostrich meat
- Venison meatballs – venison and port are a combination that makes those memorable culinary experiences
When it comes to sweet recipes, you can inspire yourself with these tasty recipes:
- Brandy snaps – a crispy and delightful snaps recipe
- Chocolate brandy torte – if you start off with a rich duck liver parfait, you can finish with a slice of this rich cake and a glass of brandy
- Easy plum and port crumble – I use port all the time in baking recipes as it enhances the flavour of the fruit I am cooking with
Cooking with duck liver
A lot of people refrain from cooking with internal organs, because somehow it repulses them. However, when duck liver is prepared and cooked, it offers a lot of flavour.
Moreover, it is healthy as it contains a lot of phosphorous and zinc. It is also an excellent source of protein.
For example, take foie gras. Foie gras is basically a product of fatty duck liver. It can also be prepared into a mousse, parfait or a pâté.
When it comes to cooking with duck liver and making this duck liver parfait, it’s best to marinate the duck livers in the alcohol.
This way, they’ll absorb the flavours of the alcohol. Just let marinate for an hour or more if possible.
duck liver mousse
You can turn this duck liver parfait into a duck liver mousse. Just use whipped cream (heavy cream) or double cream. Any cream above 38%.
Whip it up and mix it in with the remaining ingredients. The whipped cream will give it an airy texture that’s completely irresistible.
In comparison to a duck liver parfait, the mousse will be lighter.
duck liver parfait calories
As mentioned above, duck liver is a healthy ingredient. However, this parfait contains quite a considerable amount of butter as well as the addition of alcohol (which contains a lot of sugar).
Lastly, duck liver parfait is best enjoyed with a piece or bread, baguette or crackers, which don’t help as regards the calorie count.
Therefore, I recommend serving the duck liver parfait with rice crackers or a low-calorie bread alternative.
chicken liver parfait
You can substitute the duck liver with chicken liver. It is a cheaper alternative. Moreover, chicken liver is more widely available.
Chicken liver is completely interchangeable with the duck liver in this duck liver parfait recipe.
Other starter recipes
This duck liver parfait recipe is one of my favourite starter recipes. It's a very elegant dish. If you are looking for other starter recipes to inspire yourself, then check out these below:
- baked Parma ham and Parmesan croquettes
- mini salmon rissoles with sour cream and caviar
- Parmesan arancini
- easy-to-make Parmesan crisps
- ham and cheese puff pastry tartlets
- camembert en croute
What is you favourite way to use duck liver?Print