Here's a question for you – feel like having an apple crumble slice? If the answer 'yes please' popped into your head immediately, then this crumble slice recipe is definitely for you. What's better than enjoying an apple crumble recipe in the form of a slice? I don't know about you, but for me the slice represents perfect portion control.
An apple crumble slice recipe differs somewhat to a traditional apple crumble – mainly when it comes to texture and consistency. A piece of homemade apple crumble is best enjoyed hot, hence it would fall apart as soon as you try to serve it. Whereas, a crumble slice can be perfectly cut into squares or rectangles (whichever shape you prefer) without the whole thing falling apart.
Simply think of this apple crumble slice like an apple crumble bar. This crumble slice recipe is a fantastic idea for breakfast or to be served as a healthy snack in between meals. Forget about the pre-made candy bars in the supermarket. Freshness always prevails, so, trust these crumble slices to give you enough energy throughout the day. Enjoy!
This apple crumble slice recipe is one of the best, as it involves a dessert I adore, without it falling apart. Consider this crumble slice as an apple crumble to go! Actually, the crumble slice reminds me a lot of my sugar free flapjacks, just without the fruit.
Since the apple crumble slice has a solid texture, you can eat it on your way to work or school. Naturally, only after you allow it to cool for a minute.
I've made many crumble recipes before, but now – having found the perfect ingredients and recipe for a solid consistency – I can turn these delicious crumble recipes into to-go recipes as well:
- apple and plum crumble - a crumble with rich and tart flavours
- apple and rhubarb crumble - a refreshing crumble recipe on the acidic side
- cherry crumble pie - perhaps this pie can also turn into a slice recipe
- easy plum and port crumble - for adults only!
- apple and blackberry crumble - excellent combination with the forest fruit
- apricot cobbler - maybe I can also make apricot cobbler slices
how to make crumble
Here's a list of things you'll need for completing this apple crumble slice recipe and other apple recipes:
- wooden board - if you would like to serve your crumble slice like me
- apple corer and cutter - this speeds up the preparation time by a large amount of time
- baking paper - I always run out, so I recommend stocking up
- premium oats - the higher quality the oats, the better texture your apple crumble will have
- measuring spoons - always a good idea to have the essential tools in your kitchen
which apples are best for baking?
The key to making this apple crumble slice as delicious as possible is to use apples that contain sweetness and still have a firm texture.
- gala apple - aromatic, sweet and very crisp. Excellent in pies and in baking recipes.
- fuji apple - crunchy, sweet and good texture. Good in sauces, pies, salads and excellent for baking.
- honeycrisp apple - not as sweet as gala or fuji, but still sweet enough for this apple crumble slice. Good texture. Excellent for baking.
- golden delicious apple - universal for any recipe
- pink lady - these are also excellent for this recipe
Let's distinguish apples which you would want for a traditional crumble recipe. Remember, in a traditional crumble, you should be looking for apples that turn mushy. These include:
- roma apple - best in pies and baking due to their soft consistency
- red delicious - quite juicy and mildly sweet
In essence, all apples are interchangeable, but even the smallest details can change the texture of your apple crumble slice.
Do you have a favourite apple you love to cook or bake with? Let me know.
raw apple crumble slice
Of course, you can also make this crumble slice with raw apples. Just cut up some raw apples and place them on top of the slice. The most important thing is to eat the apple slice immediately, otherwise, your fresh apples with brown.
You can also top the apples with some lemon juice to prevent the apples from browning if you don't plan to serve the apple crumble slice immediately.
apple crumble slice calories
Even though this crumble slice contains sugar, you can limit the amount of sugar that goes inside. The key towards reducing the amount of sugar is selecting very sweet apples instead of the usual tart and acidic ones (granny smith apples). This way, the crumble slice will be edible due to the natural sweetness.
Next, you can actually consider not adding sugar at all and make this a sugar-free crumble slice. This is managed by substituting the sugar with a liquid or granular sweetener. Believe me, the result is practically the same. Just take a look at some of my delicious sugar-free recipes:
- sugar-free apple crisp - a similar recipe to this crumble slice
- sugar-free angel food cake - tastes as good as it looks
- or my sugar-free chocolate chip cookies
In essence, you don't have to worry about the calorie count when it comes to the crumble slice. Besides, the squares act as the perfect portion control. However, if you feel like cutting down on more calories, take the above-mentioned steps.
apple crumble slices with sour cream
For the most delicious result, serve the crumble slice with sour cream, double cream or single cream. The cream will bring out the flavour of the apples.
However, you can also serve the crumble slice with these toppings:
- fresh or homemade whipped cream
- chocolate fudge sauce - for a more chocolatey flavour
- ice creams like these: tin roof ice cream, hokey pokey ice cream, peanut butter and jelly ice cream, pineapple ice cream or this ferrero rocher ice cream
Did I tempt you with this crumble slice recipe? Trust me, it's worth mastering. It's quick, easy, simple to make and kids love it.
How would you serve your apple crumble slice? Let me know in the comments below.Print